The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I bought the UNS Mini CO2 regulator and a paint ball CO2 tank. When I first installed the regular and the tank (using the correct adaptor) everything was fine. I just refilled the tank this morning and when I try to install it, CO2 just blows out of the little hole on the paintball adaptor. Anyone else have this issue? How can I fix it?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
OK, my 2 cents on this..
Nylon ring on the paitball tank is the "seal".
Hole is just a relief hole.

Like propane cylinder the unit should seal before the plunger (center nub) is releasing gas.
Obviously it isn't

Now one of 2 things.. Seal is shot or you just need to tighten it faster or more err accurate.. ;)

You would think there might be a secondary flat seal inside the adapter but.. ????

Odd chance is tank has too much pressure (overfilled)

a pic of the inside of the nut on the regulator would help.

you already replaced the white oring on the paintball nipple and that would be the first thing I would do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, my 2 cents on this..
Nylon ring on the paitball tank is the "seal".
Hole is just a relief hole.

Like propane cylinder the unit should seal before the plunger (center nub) is releasing gas.
Obviously it isn't

Now one of 2 things.. Seal is shot or you just need to tighten it faster or more err accurate.. ;)

You would think there might be a secondary flat seal inside the adapter but.. ????

Odd chance is tank has too much pressure (overfilled)

a pic of the inside of the nut on the regulator would help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I was thinking that maybe it is over fill. Also when I try to screw it on really fast the CO2 comes out really quickly and it's loud. Lol. Like so fast that the metal gets really cold by the time I screw and unscrew it.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
None of those o rings are for the bottle.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Ohhhhh. Ok. Should I just get one from the hardware store?
You can. Need to get the right size.
Where do you get rhe tank filled?
They may have some.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I bought the original container and got the refill from my local fish store.
For fun can you find the Tare weight on the tank.. Lots of numbers stamped but on should sat "tare".
Then weigh the tank.
It should weight "tare weight" + CO2 weight it's filled with.

Guess is 3.1lbs. (20oz for co2 , 29 oz for tank. so should find 814g-ish, 29-ish oz or 1lb 8oz-ish stamped on the tank, just guessing)
0825 may be the cert date.. Tanks need to be tested and certed every 5 years.

With the numbers and a fairly good scale you can see if it's overfilled or not.
Not terribly important but it's nice to know if the people filling your tank knows what they are doing.

Only reason is the o ring may not be good enough for the increased pressure if overfilled, though your o ring doesn't exactly look a healthy round shape.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The o ring would be inside the regulator if it existed.
That's not how it works with paintball tanks. The nylon washer is between the regulator and the adapter. The o-ring is what seals the paintball tank to the adaptor. When you screw the tank on to the adaptor the fixed pin in the adaptor pushes against the pin on the paintball tank opening it to release the Co2.

You might consider lubing the o-ring as well but I would go to a paintball place for the replacement o-ring vs looking at the hardware store. They deal with this stuff all the time. If you google it there's quite a number of people who have experienced the same issue with this type of adaptor. Sometimes it is a pin or thread issue.

Alternatively, if your thinking of another adaptor. I prefer the ones with a separate knob where you can lower the internal pin to make contact with the tank pin. That way its easier to control (less panicking) if you don't make a good seal because of a bad o-ring.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
242 Posts
as a paintball player, it's the o-ring. you can buy a large amount for cheap on ebay for replacements. if they don't disconnect it correctly when they fill the o-ring will be ruined everytime. If it's originally clear and is no longer but opaque, you need a new one, if it has tears, you need a new one.

look into an on/off valve if the issue is when you removed the tank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's not how it works with paintball tanks. The nylon washer is between the regulator and the adapter. The o-ring is what seals the paintball tank to the adaptor. When you screw the tank on to the adaptor the fixed pin in the adaptor pushes against the pin on the paintball tank opening it to release the Co2.

You might consider lubing the o-ring as well but I would go to a paintball place for the replacement o-ring vs looking at the hardware store. They deal with this stuff all the time. If you google it there's quite a number of people who have experienced the same issue with this type of adaptor. Sometimes it is a pin or thread issue.

Alternatively, if your thinking of another adaptor. I prefer the ones with a separate knob where you can lower the internal pin to make contact with the tank pin. That way its easier to control (less panicking) if you don't make a good seal because of a bad o-ring.

View attachment 1026649
Where can I find this adaptor. That actually sounds really helpful.
as a paintball player, it's the o-ring. you can buy a large amount for cheap on ebay for replacements. if they don't disconnect it correctly when they fill the o-ring will be ruined everytime. If it's originally clear and is no longer but opaque, you need a new one, if it has tears, you need a new one.

look into an on/off valve if the issue is when you removed the tank.
If I get them online are they just called paintball tank o rings?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts