The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopefully setting up my 1st aqua scape in a waterbox mini 16 ( 60P ) and was looking into soil I was going to use the oil dri from tractor supply but ehy seem not to carry it.

this will hopefully be a very heavily planted scape I will run Co2 and dose ferts.

so my question are:

1. anyone have experience with UNS soil?
2. as this is my 1st time scaping there is a pretty good chance i'll rescape it a few time over the year can the soil be reused?

any other thoughts a new scaper should know about this soil or other soil in general?

I do have a cpl of bags of black diamond but I think i want to use a "better" soil for plating.
IDK open to options.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Tractor supply carried Safe-T-Sorb not oil dri. Same stuff but in my opinion safe-t-sorb looks nicer. This is what it looks like in the bag:

If you go with UNS you can reuse it as well. Its an aquasoil as opposed to safe-t-sorb which is simply a buffered substrate. Meaning UNS has nutrients in it which safe-t-sorb does not.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tractor supply carried Safe-T-Sorb not oil dri. Same stuff but in my opinion safe-t-sorb looks nicer. This is what it looks like in the bag:

If you go with UNS you can reuse it as well. Its an aquasoil as opposed to safe-t-sorb which is simply a buffered substrate. Meaning UNS has nutrients in it which safe-t-sorb does not.
ah yes that is right it was safe T sorb. hmmm there is a big price difference between the 2. my tank is pretty small but watching all the "pros" aqua scape they do use a ton of soil so I was gonna get the 9L bag of UNS that should be more than enough.
I like the look of the soil to but once that ground carpet grows in ( Monti carlo) prob would not notice.

hmm I'll have to research a bit more on this. of course its quite a drive 1.5hr each way to tractor supply so have to factor that in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi.
I used it on a new 3 gallon tank and it grow rotala macranda with a blood red color and eriocaulons beautifully.

Plants root extremely well into it. I used the normal granule size and eriocaulons where rooting more vigorously than in ada amazonia.

However ada amazonia is much more aesthetic to look at thanks to non uniform granual size and can handle gravel vacuuming much better without breaking down too much. This soil is a lot softer than what it used to be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.