The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello planted tank folks! It's been a while since I was last active on this forum and lots of things have happened. I got promoted! That was nice, but of course comes with more responsibility and less tank time. Also more travel, which led to the next thing that happened. I got Covid. That was not so nice. Really knocked me out for a while. Got over it, but then I herniated a disc in my back for the 3rd time. That knocked me out for a few weeks too. These things combined to really take my focus away from the tank. The 29 gallon is currently a rotala forest. And I mean forest. It is THICK. it's also got a not insignificant amount of gha. Looking at it the other day I thought I can't leave it this way. I'm settled into my new role at work, over Covid, back is better, and now is the time to get the tank back to where it should be. I'm taking it back to a 20L. Perhaps I'll update that old thread to document the change back.

In addition, I've decided to add another tank to the mix! As much as I love the utility of the BA overflow and sump, I've been fascinated with the low iron rimless tanks with canister filters and glass lily pipes. So I grabbed a UNS 45U. I'll be using a UNS Delta 60 and Chihiros Vivid Mini, and of course will be pumping in the CO2. Plan is for this to be plants only. Inert substrate and dragon stone scape. May give the PPS fertilization system a shot. Here is where I'm at now, will update as things progress!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello... Quick question. Do you have your Apex set up to control the Co2?
Basically just to set a timer on the solenoid, yes. To keep this tank as clean looking as possible I don't want any probes, so it won't be monitoring pH, just setting a timer for the on off times of the solenoid. Perhaps once the plants grow in enough I can hide a pH probe, but for now it's just a super fancy outlet timer 😆

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just because a couple tanks isn't quite enough:

I want to add a Buce to this little terrarium, but the one I ordered from buceplant didn't show up with the rest of the order. Really don't feel like paying 20+$ to ship a single plant, so I'm not sure what else I'm going to put in there. Full disclosure, I completely ripped off the design of the terrarium from doodle bird terrariums, who deserves to be mention since this is essentially plagiarism: iota terrarium - Google Search

Also added a couple more plants to this tank. I took out the crypto I had planted as it melted. Actually, it was mostly gone when I got it. It's possible it might have come back, but it didn't really fit where I had it anyway. So that was pulled and replaced with Ammannia gracilis and Hygrophila lancea Araguaia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Basically just to set a timer on the solenoid, yes. To keep this tank as clean looking as possible I don't want any probes, so it won't be monitoring pH, just setting a timer for the on off times of the solenoid. Perhaps once the plants grow in enough I can hide a pH probe, but for now it's just a super fancy outlet timer 😆
I hate probes in the tank also... I use the GHL measurement cell for all my probes. Works well... used it on my marine tank also.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hate probes in the tank also... I use the GHL measurement cell for all my probes. Works well... used it on my marine tank also.

I'd love to do something like that, but unfortunately I don't have the room for it on this tank :( Also the canister I'm using is likely too small to handle pumping through that cell. Maybe if I was running a bigger canister with a more substantial pump.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sheesh what a day. Flooded this tank and that is when things took a turn for the worse. Leaks everywhere in the plumbing. The tubing that comes with the UNS Delta 60 freaking sucks. Had to pull basically everything apart a couple times to rectify all the leaks. Finally got them all sorted and then I hear a hiss. Regulator crapped out for some unknown reason. Went through the cabinet only to find more dead regulators. So no CO2 for a while on this tank. At least it's running, though the canister pump is louder than I would have hoped. Hopefully the baby tears are fine until a new regulator gets here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts