The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Summer I set up my old 4 gallon Finnex tank out back on my deck. No filter or lights, just plants. We had and orange dwarf crayfish, some sparkling gouramis, some chili rasboras and a badis. Everything in this tank went along great, however two things happened. It started getting cooler at night, and I noticed the tank had a decent size chip in one of the back corners. Not wanting to bring a potential problem into the house I decided to give the fish a small upgrade.

AUGUST 12 2022

I received a UNS 45S, a shallow 5 gallon which runs 17.71" x 11.02" x 7.08". This size would fit perfectly on an existing sturdy file cabinet I had.

Floor Home appliance Wood Major appliance Gas

I filled the tank with Landen sand and mesh bagged up some Fluval stratum that I placed along the back and middle of the tank. For lighting I used a Chihiros C2 RGB. Nice little light. More powerful and with more features than I was first anticipating.

Product Rectangle Home appliance Wood Flooring

The next day I filled the tank with water, adding some elephant skin stone and spiderwood, as well as some assorted Buce and mini Crypt. parva. For filtration I'm using a small internal filter (more on that later).

Plant Lighting Wood Art Gas

AUGUST 19 2022

More plants have arrived. We added Marsilea crenata, Hydrocotyle verticillata and Sagittaria subulata as well as some floating plants.

Plant Wood Art Grass Rectangle

We also added our fish/invert from outside!

Plant Plant community Light World Botany

I'm attempting to get some of the plants to grow up out of the water onto this wood.

Wood Cuisine Cooking Gas Dish

Chili rasboras, soon to have some more friends...

Plant Insect Arthropod Twig Pollinator

AUGUST 26 2022

A week's gone by and we've added some stem plants and guppy grass to help with the cycle. I also ditched the internal filter already. It was creating such a current that I had the rasboras thinking they were salmon running upstream and lost a few to jumping. I upgraded the filter to a ZooMed canister (along with cute little 10mm lily pipes). This setup is working out much better.

Plant Wood Lighting Tree Twig

Our CPO approves!

Organism Terrestrial plant Arthropod Marine biology Reef

A few days later I added pressurized CO2 to the mix.

Plant Wood Window Grass Twig

Almost caught up. To be continued...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SEPTEMBER 9 2022

We added more Chili rasboras to the group, up to 13 now. We also added some Blue Velvet shrimp. Apparently they should be okay with Pablo? (that's the orange dwarf crayfish's name btw). So far so good...

Plant Wood Twig Rectangle Art

SEPTEMBER 16 2022

Another week later and everyone is doing well. The Marsilea is looking like it's spreading a little more and the small hair algae issue growing down in between their stems is starting to die back. I want to add a few Amano shrimp. The Blue Velvet shrimp aren't all Blue Velvet, some look like Blue Rili, and at least one is carrying eggs! And another has already had babies! My wife found a teeny tiny shrimp the other day. I don't have any good pics though, just video. Maybe I will post up. The rasboras are looking really nice too. I've been feeding them cyclops, among a wide variety of things and their color, especially the males, is really starting to pop. Oh also I removed the guppy grass because it was going nuts and added a Nymphaea gardneriana "Santarem".

Plant Organism Wood Terrestrial plant Natural material

Alright I think that about catches me up to current. Thanks for stopping by!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dwarf water lettuce is taking hold in the tank. I just threw out a big handful and there's still plenty left. I think I am going to eventually phase them out for red root floaters once they establish themselves a little more. The abundance of hiding spots with all the dangling roots is making the shrimp feel comfortable though because we've found 2 berries females in the past week and two baby shrimp of varying sizes. The microrasboras are happy to have some swimming space back. I'll have to take a new full tank shot soon.
Plant Fawn Wood Twig Grass

1 - 3 of 3 Posts