The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Current FTS:

It's been a while since my last project (see signature) a shallow cube which lasted three years while I was in MI. I had hoped to be growing algae in a reef tank by now, alas I will wait for a bit before that happens.

Tank: UNS 3G - 60$
Stand: Table, no diy this time
Light: Asta 20 - 44$
Filter: SunSun 603B 25$
Heater: Florida home, none needed
Co2: None
Hardscape: Undecided - rock-scape will be tough on this scale
Flora: Image below, Thinking of the Monte Carlo instead of HC
Fauna: One Betta

Here's what I would like to end up with:

Here is the potential space, the table isn't as over engineered as I'd like to, but for a nano it will do. Will coat it to make it waterproof/resistant soon.

Bump: Ended up with the following tank from Amazon by Ultum. Good quality in my opinion, in terms of the 45 degree joint.
2.9 gallons

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the smallest SunSun, worked well in the past for me, dirt cheap.

Bump: In terms of light I went with a unknown Chinese LED (dimmable) from amazon, good reviews.
Comes with two lenses, 120 or 60 degree spread. Unfortunately the 60 has a yellow border. Too much light for this tank, will be using it quite a bit dimmed.

120 degree lens

The included 60 degree lens

The ugly yellow border with the 60 degree

·
Registered
354 Posts
nice start! I will be fallowing. as I want to set up a FW planted tank. I also grow macro algae in a dedicated reef...
anyway keep us posted :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it might look better if you went with a rock that was about 30% smaller, but I’m no expert!
My thought exactly!!!!! I'm gonna try to chisel carefully and try to crack it down the 1/3. Does have fiberglass through the middle for reinforcement.

A little worried still about this faux rock, my local ph here in FL is 8, this rock does fizzle with vinegar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My thought exactly!!!!! I'm gonna try to chisel carefully and try to crack it down the 1/3. Does have fiberglass through the middle for reinforcement.

A little worried still about this faux rock, my local ph here in FL is 8, this rock does fizzle with vinegar.
Bite the bullet and get some natural rock! It will look better and you don't have to worry that way.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That looks really cool. As long as you can keep the roots out of the main body of water it might live. Looks like an evergreen though so.. it will be interesting to see. Worst case you could do an emersed growing plant up there.
Thanks! yes I plan to keep the bonsai above the water line. Will have HC growing up there too hopefully.
Too bad I can't change the name of the thread, no longer a paludarium.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts