The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I had just gotten rid of one cube, I thought it would be only right to bring balance to the universe by installing another 30C. I'm not even waiting forever to start this journal either! Well, only a week, and I don't have water in the tank...yet.

SEPTEMBER 14 2022

New tank day! Tank was packed well, arrived in one piece. Although the glass was a little bit "smudgy" even though it was wrapped in plastic...strange.

Product Wood Rectangle World Font

I also got the stand for it. Basically the most affordable 12x12 stand that I could find, and there aren't a lot of options. And I didn't have much space to work with as this was going right next to my 45S .

Cabinetry Wood Flooring Drawer Gas

The next day I was back at it working with the hardscape items I had collected. I filled the tank with a decent amount of Fluval stratum as I wanted to get a bunch of elevation in the back left corner. Here I just tossed in what I wanted to start with, a bunch of spider wood and some elephant skin stone. I originally had some different rock I was going to work with, but it ended up just being too large. But anyways, this layout did not stay around.

Wood Twig Cuisine Cooking Art

Here, I found a more minimal layout for the wood that I kind of liked and a different layout for the stones. I'm thinking about putting sand in the front and using the stones as a barrier. I also put on the lightscreen backlighting panel. More on that later.

Wood Organism Natural material Art Display case

I continued to mess around with the wood and change things up. At one point I think this is the direction I going to go with. I also added the Caribsea white sand to the front.

Picture frame Art Wood Creative arts Paint

I ditch the wood look and end up back on my original layout for the wood. That plus the sand has everything looking clean, but maybe a little empty.

Organism Art Wood Picture frame Twig

I get all the glassware put on. CO2 diffuser, and lily pipes for the Eheim 2213. I'm not sure about the "Poppy Glass" return since it projects so far into the tank. I may switch it out for a different piece, but am going to try this out first to see how it works.

Wood Organism Art Building Glass

I also mounted the light. I went with another AI Freshwater Prime, just like on my 90P . It seems like overkill, but I could not pass up the deal I got on it. With the gooseneck mount I've got it up pretty high so I think I'll be good.

Wood Interior design Art Extinction Reptile

I still felt like it was missing something, so I managed to cut and wedge in another small branchy piece and glue it in place. I'm happy with this layout now. I also added some scatter gravel over the sand.

Wood Lighting Art Twig Electric blue

That catches us up! Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice setup! Is the stratum height being held up just more stratum? Agree about the pipe, it looks big and too centered, it always looks like the diffuser is far behind it.
The stratum is indeed just a big ole pile of stratum. Hoping once it's filled and planted things will be held together better.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, you got some nice height in that corner. You didn't end up elaborating on that light screen on the back, I'm still on the edge of my seat!
Oh the light screen! Sorry about that. These light screen backgrounds have interested me for a while but the price had kept me away. I recently checked a Chinese brand on Amazon that I had seen earlier this year and noticed it was almost half the price of the last time I saw it so I decided what the heck I'll give it a shot. My disclaimer is I haven't seen it in action with water in my tank yet but so far I'm impressed. It's very bright and can be controlled by app or included remote. The app has a built in timer, no ramping up and down though, however there is a dimming effect. There's a bunch of what I would consider cheesy presets, but the are several really nice looking color combos. I'm still waiting on a bigger price drop before I try one of these on my 90P though! Unless I'm a really good boy and Santa brings me one or something...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh the light screen! Sorry about that. These light screen backgrounds have interested me for a while but the price had kept me away. I recently checked a Chinese brand on Amazon that I had seen earlier this year and noticed it was almost half the price of the last time I saw it so I decided what the heck I'll give it a shot.
Nice! I've only seen the crazy expensive screens for nano tanks on YouTube so keen to see how yours turns out when the tank is filled. I ended up making a DIY one for my cube but it's very faint, I reckon yours will be much brighter.
Bummer about your blyxa coming melted.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tank is filled and plants are in. Added "Philippine mini" Java Fern, E. acicularis "Mini Dwarf Hairgrass" and a small Crypt. nurii. Tank was still a little cloudy when I took picture. I like what the Poppy glass does to the return flow, the movement on the surface is creating a great "dappling" effect from the lighting above. Too bad it sticks out so far.

Plant Wood Interior design Houseplant Art

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice! I've only seen the crazy expensive screens for nano tanks on YouTube so keen to see how yours turns out when the tank is filled. I ended up making a DIY one for my cube but it's very faint, I reckon yours will be much brighter.
Bummer about your blyxa coming melted.
See my previous post for the white/blue gradient. I think I like that one the best and will probably be the setting I use the most. Here are a couple other settings I made just by messing around with the app.

Light Purple Plant Art Wood

Light Lighting Organism Art Grass

Plant Wood Botany Organism Pet supply

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The other night we added some red cherry shrimp and a couple bucephelandra. The shrimp are still pretty shy. I turned the filter flow down a little for them just in case it was a little to aggressive for them while they are settling in.
Rectangle Tints and shades Ingredient Cuisine Carmine

The tank still isn't totally clear. Partly my fault for not rinsing anything, but with the overkill filtration on this tank I was thinking it would be clear by now. I'm almost wondering if I overstuffed the filter basket and created more bypass inside the canister. If it's not clear in another day I'll tear into it and see what's up.
Water Vertebrate Plant Pet supply Organism

1 - 12 of 12 Posts