The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Question. Would it be better to have the temp probe piped into the cannister inlet tubing? In my mind that would the best reading of the actual tank water. Or being after the cannister and still before the inline heater is it effectively the same?

I have a similar Inkbird probe hidden behind a large sword along with my doser inlet but I would have no hardware in the tank if I could do it. Being a bit paranoid I also try to minimize any out of tank water connections!

Just curious...

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Question. Would it be better to have the temp probe piped into the cannister inlet tubing? In my mind that would the best reading of the actual tank water. Or being after the cannister and still before the inline heater is it effectively the same?

I have a similar Inkbird probe hidden behind a large sword along with my doser inlet but I would have no hardware in the tank if I could do it. Being a bit paranoid I also try to minimize any out of tank water connections!

Just curious...
I honestly don't think it makes any difference whether its before the canister filter or after. Technically the canister filter is imparting some small amount of heat to the water from the pump, but this is pretty minimal. Considering that any filter I use will pump hundreds of gallons an hour, the water will be moving too quickly through the tubing, the tank, and back into the tubing again to really vary much in temperature whether its before or after the filter.

On the other hand, its a lot easier on me to stick all the various connections in the same place. So it got installed after the filter along with everything else being done inline.

I'm paranoid about certain things when it comes to dozens of gallons of water but not about barbed connections or pvc pipe. The latter is designed to handle water inside the walls of households for decades without maintenance, the former is proven secure in hundreds of thousands of aquariums. If it doesn't leak when you first set it up it will keep not leaking unless you start pulling on it. At which time you will know it because you will be sitting there doing the pulling ;P

For the wacky inline things I'm doing? Well I feel mostly pretty good about it ;D

21 - 22 of 22 Posts