The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was randomly browsing Kijiji yesterday evening and came across a Hagen GEOSystem Kit 60 and stand for $60 CAD. I was not planning on starting another tank, but this deal seemed too good to pass up, so I went and picked it up. It came with most of the original accessories, plus a few extras. The tank and stand both appear to be in excellent condition.

I have no idea what direction this tank will take.. the dimensions seem ok for a planted setup, so I may go that route.

Tank is 23.6 x 13.8 x 15.7" (approx. 22g). The canopy has a dual T8 fluorescent fixture built into it.

A few quick pictures from last night:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got around to unpacking everything and all isn't as great as it initially seemed. The box for the filter includes the intake tubing, but the actual filter motor and housing are missing. There is also a tiny chip in the bottom corner of the glass, but I don't think it will be an issue - I'll water test to be sure. For some reason I forgot to snap a pic, oops. I'm still very happy with the purchase though. I was able to get in touch with the gentleman who sold it to me and he wasn't able to find the filter, and wasn't aware of the chip (likely because it was hidden by the black trim).

Aside from that, the Power GLO T8 fluorescent bulbs need to be replaced. One of the ballasts also seems to be on it's way out (takes longer to get the bulb going than the other ballast). It's not a big deal as I had planned to modify the lighting anyway. At a bare minimum I will replace the bulbs - I'm not a fan of the dim purple light they're currently putting out.

Now the nice surprise (to me) about this tank is that I could run this as a rimless tank if I wanted to. The bottom trim is not attached to the tank in anyway, and the canopy/top trim are all one piece. I think I'd be happy running it either way, as the trim is not "bulky" like it is on most black-trimmed retail tanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started water testing it yesterday. Less than 10 gallons in the tank at the moment, just in case. It was perfectly fine when I left for work this morning. I'll probably fill it completely tomorrow after work and let it sit for a week or so. It'll give me some time to decide what I want to do, lol. The green piece of paper is where the chip is - just using it as a leak indicator.

Some close ups of the actual chip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts