The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

Long time lurker and new member

Photo attached is of an unknown plant found in rural southern Indiana in small pond fed by cave spring that I transplanted into my tropical tank.

Unusual in that it was bright green in Feb. with carpeting characteristics and a thick root mat.

I have a low-medium light 75g tropical tank and it is growing amazingly well. Really bright green leaves and amazing growth. Ottos and corys love hanging out in it :) For reference, unable to keep most higher light plants like baby tears etc.

Anyone know what it is? Done many searches but I am stumped. Probably not anything special but would like to know. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Probably Myosotis scorpioides, aka forget-me-not. Introduced. Comes up early. There's also M. laxa, a native species. Can't say for certain from photo and with no flowers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I think you are exactly right. Definitely a Myosotis of some kind. To your point I think it is scorpioides, but laxa is still a possibility until I get some flowers to be 100% sure.

Thank you for your help. Was totally stumped! :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm intrigued. I live in Virginia and see it grows wild here as well. But if I don't find it around the ponds or lakes, I assume plant nurseries might carry it.? I wonder how long it will last under water completely. Will definitely keep an eye out for this one. Nice find! Spring is here, so I'm off to the lakes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts