The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran a magnum 350 on my 29 gallon which has a population of supreme red shrimps so I could get the bio-media seeded. Then I moved it over to my 20 gallon high shrimp tank where I'm keeping blue velvets. Yesterday I was cleaning out my filter and found a red shrimplet inside. Problem is I can't decide if it's a supreme red shrimplet or blue velvet shrimplet. Should I just release it back into the 20 gallon tank and wait for it to reach the juvie stage and see which color it turns into? How red do blue velvet shrimplets get anyways? this one is orange...

·
Registered
274 Posts
The most red I have seen on BV is their heads which usually fades as an adult - IME. I would put the little dude in your most stable shrimp tank and then watch him grow a bit. It'll probably become obvious what it is in short order. From your description, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a fire. Seems like low odds it is a BV.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i would almost bet it was from the red tank. this is a hard call man. ive been there. only other thing you could do was get a breeder box and put it in that. i had baby guppies and columbian tetra in my hot magnum on my 55 so it does not surprise me any you had shrimp in yours

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah its probably a supreme red. i just heard reports of how bv shrimplets could be red but turn blue later but they never said how red...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts