The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow aquatic enthusiasts! I purchased this RO/DI system from a fellow aquarist on the forums 5 years ago and have now been able to hook it straight to my water system. The system had water sitting in it for the past year without being used. I have hooked it up and discarded of the first 5 gallons it produced. I would like to change the filters but do not know where to look for replacement filters. The input and output are 1/4" lines so I assume it is a 50 gpd unit but do not know for sure. What are the 2 additional tanks on top of the unit? I am assuming one is the membrane. Is one an inline carbon filter and what is the 3rd? I do still get 0ppm hardness so it doesn't seem the membrane is compromised. Can I use generic filters off amazon for replacement? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Slainte!

·
Registered
108 Posts
The top 2 appear to be pre filters which is good but will need to be replaced regularly along with the first 2 stages of the Ro unit itself. I try and do mine every 6-8 months.

The cleaner the water going to the membrane the longer it will last. So regular changes of all your filters before it will help everything work the best and last the longest.

I have a spectrapure unit and get filter packs from them but the Amazon ones should work just fine. I would suggest replacing your Di as well if you can. Sitting that long with stagnant water not sure what that does to di or filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The top 2 appear to be pre filters which is good but will need to be replaced regularly along with the first 2 stages of the Ro unit itself. I try and do mine every 6-8 months.

I have a spectrapure unit and get filter packs from them but the Amazon ones should work just fine. I would suggest replacing your Di as well if you can. Sitting that long with stagnant water not sure what that does to di or filters.
Alex,

What micron filters do you use in your unit? Should the first be the filter and the other 2 be the carbon? I haven't had to deal with this before, I don't know what to order. Where would I find the post membrane filters (2 on top)?

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
It looks like a 4 stage unit with a back pack add on of some kind. The 2 white Bigger canister on the bottom the left one would be your 0.5 micron, then next you carbon, then membrane, and finish with Di. I'm not sure where the 2 upper ones are in the system. They are after the membrane?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I said they are after the membrane because input water travels through the large chambers on the bottom with the filters in them before traveling to the membrane and then up into the top two mystery chambers. The top most chamber has a plastic wrapped coating with only the ends cut out, not sure this helps anything for determination.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparently the unit is from Purewaterclub.com and it has 2 deionized filters above the membrane. Can I basically remove those di filters and just replace the membrane and other filters? I plan to have this on the drinking water line as well as to fill the fish tank so I think I prefer not to have the DI filters as they are not approved for human consumption due to the resins used per Spectrapure's website.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great to know, well I ordered the products from Spectrapure, hopefully they will work as efficiently as I am hoping. I get 8ppm out of my existing drinking water RO system that I added this to in order to filter more water faster to have water for drinking on hand as well as being able to fill the tank for water changes. Hope the filters work! thanks for your help _alex_!

·
Registered
108 Posts
They should fit fine as most Ro canisters are the same size. And no problem learned a lot about Rodi asking questions and reading threads on the reef forums

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.