The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes yes yes. Another newbie to the aquatic plant world and probably everyone who replies to this will say something to the degree of " do a search" but im starting a new thread anyway. On that note, hello, my name is Joe. I have been keeping aquariums for many years. On the freshwater side, I have always kept african cichlid tanks. On the saltwater side, I have kept fowler tanks and soft coral reef tanks. But, this is my first try at a community tank with live plants. I have done some research and decided to go with a tank with plants versus a planted tank. Besides, my lace rock is the show piece in this tank. What I need help with is some plant id's of a few species in my tank. I know I have a java fern and a bleheri sword but not sure what the other plants are or their requirements. I want to keep a low light tank (hence the fern) but not sure if all these plants are suitable. I made a profile that has a picture of my tank and all related info. any id help is greatly apreciated. Thanks.:iamwithst

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I know most people have a hard time searching for IDs for plants so, no worries there but posting pictures of the plants you're unsure about in the thread is the best way to get the most responses. :)

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Those are not fully aquatic, the fern may be but not the first two. The first is dracaena, can't remember the other right now. The LFS sold you pond plants, they probably don't know any better, happens every day. They'll live in standing water but won't last forever fully submersed. You could prop them on the edges of the tank like in a riparium and I'm sure they'd do great, a lot better than they will under water.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i can tell this forum is going to be a great asset for me. being new to plants in the aquarium, seems like my lfs took me for a ride. any suggestions on plants i can use for my current setup? 1 watt per gallon plant glo lighting, standard t8 flo, cascade 1000 canister filter with sponge, eheim substrate pro, carbon and filter floss. am dosing weekly with microbe lift, and nutrafin plant grow. waterchanges are 30% weekly. fishies to add to the fert are 3 lemon tetras, 3 sunset fire platys, and six brilliant rasboras. tank is a 36 gallon corner.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
The first is probably a Dracaena of some kind, which is not aquatic. The second pic looks like a Syngonium sp., which also isn't aquatic. It would grow well with just the roots in the water, but not the entire plant. The third looks a lot like Trichomanes javamicum, and it's not aquatic either.

If you remove all three of those and pot them, they'd probably do pretty well for you in a shady area of your house.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Some of the big stores sell that stuff all the time to unsuspecting newbies...Petco is bad about it. Ours carries nothing but house plants dropped into some water. I've actually gotten some nice potted house plants from there lol...It's best to do a little research and figure out what you want before you go deal with the LFS. Anubias, cryptocorynes, and sunset hygro all grow very well with little light. I can get the hygro and the crypts to grow in buckets with no lighting other than the room light.

I've seen that third plant pretty often in those 'top fin' emersed plant tubes that Petsmart carries. Not sure what it is, but a friend of mine bought some and they didn't last more than a few weeks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thx for the input everyone. gonna pull the non-aquatic plants tomorrow and stick with the ferns and anubias until i can get more watts for the tank. will i still need to fert with the nutrafin plant grow or do the ferns and anubias not need it. just curious because im starting to develop a little diatom algae on my lace rock. kinda hard to do with 30% water changes weekly. contacted tucson city water department but they are unsure of phosphate levels in the water. should i get a phosphate sponge just in case? i know the liquid fert says phosphate free but the water conditioner could add a little.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts