The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought some Xmas moss from Malaysia and started a mesh wall with it and a little mystery plant sprouted out of it. The plant grew real fast until it reached its current size of about 2 inches. It looks like a stem plant and has roots. I was just wondering if it's a weed or what. When I was making the mesh wall I didn't notice anything other than Xmas moss so it either sprouted from a small root or spore. I attached some pictures of it.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
looks a little like R.indica ,but then again, it doesent .. take it and place it in your substrate, when it is 6" tall you will see for sure what it is, and if it stays under 4" than I think its abother type stem like the mini R. so grow it !! See what else it does with a rooted bottom in yoru substrate .

·
Registered
397 Posts
Perhaps it is a callitriche species? IF the stem is really thin, if leaves are in pairs, if it forms a "rosette" once it reaches the surface, if there is a tiny bump at the base of each leaf, and if the nodes are far apart, it could be a callitriche species.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I now agree with the others' it does look more like glosso . :) ethier way you have a new stem to add to your tank, and within time you can have stems' .

·
Registered
740 Posts
I also bought some Xmas moss from Malaysia and got something unexpected- an envelope with a note from customs saying the shipment had been confiscated and destroyed. :eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey everyone. Thanks for your opinions.

I never seen glosso in person but agree that this plant looked just like glosso in the pictures. Then I got real excited because that would mean I went from noob to pro overnight so I ordered some proven glosso. The glosso arrived and the leaves were much bigger than the unknown plant, but I figured that could be depending on different growing conditions. My glosso has been growing for 2 weeks.

Anyway, I planted the unknown plant like you suggested and it stopped growing and changed leaf form. Now it is growing again and I am pretty sure it is not glosso. I did my best to get a crisp detail picture:

You can see the single stem near the center of each picture. It is about 2.5" tall. There are bright green glosso around it for a comparison. The leaf structure on glosso is sort of tear drop shaped with smooth round edges with a single vein/line up the middle of the leaf. The leaf structure on the unknown plant has slightly jagged edges and 3 vein/lines up the leaf.

Now I'm really curious what it is. I'll just keep growing it and hope I don't kill it with my noobness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts