The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have this strange hairlike algae/moss growing in my tank. I have never had it before until I introduced java moss into my planted tank. You can see the thin strands growing in the bushes of java moss as well as in the monte carlo. I've pulled what I could out because I don't know what it is. I don't think it's hair algae. It has the texture and look of a moss ball but isn't a moss ball. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone have an idea on how to slow or stop the growth of the algae on the glass/filter compartment of the fluval spec v?

Light: Finnex Planted+ 20" on for 6 hours a day
Substrate: Eco-complete
Ferts: EI Dosing (1/16 KNO3, 1/32 KH2PO4 (increased because GSA?), 1/64 K2SO4) + pressurized CO2
Fauna: Cherry Shrimp

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm (at times, it's like 40ppm or really red on the test sheet)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Sorry I don't have much knowledge to offer on this algae. I honestly am not even sure if what you have really is Clado or not. I just looked at your pics and thought it sorta matched Clado so I mentioned it as a possible ID. Hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience can comment. Try researching other sources on Clado and maybe even other algae to see if there may be some other cause for it.

Sounds like low co2 or low ferts are not your problem though. I think H2O2 or excel will kill it, but would probably kill your moss and maybe even damage some other plants as well. Not sure if API AlgaeFix would work (plant safe, don't know if it shrimp safe, but I think it is).

I take it your tank is 2-3 gallons?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the algae guide link, it doesn't look like clado. However, I did a little bit more research and found a member on the forum that actually had clado and I guess mine is just a small case of it. It probably came with the java moss that I just put in and started growing on my substrate and on the monte carlo carpet. I just did a water change today and pulled as much as I could out. It doesn't really seem to be growing but hopefully pulling out most of it will do the trick. I don't want to risk damaging the plants or killing my shrimps by dosing H2O2. Very strange algae. I'm glad I caught it when it first started and not when it started to pose a big problem.

My tank is the Fluval Spec V (5 gallons). My first high tech tank and I'm hoping to make it very nice. Haven't had much problems yet besides diatoms on the glass and this case of cladophora that isn't very severe...yet.

·
Registered
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,329 Posts
The first pic of the green stringy algae in your moss definitely looks like clado. If it has a very strong hold to your moss then it is clado. It is quite strong and hard to pull off of stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts