The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an adult male bluefin killifish at Petco. At the time there was a second one in the tank , slightly bigger but without colorful fins. One thing it did have were 2+ off-white round internal things, slightly bigger than it’s eyes. While I want both, I feared an infestation of something. I did buy the male, quarantined him for 10 days. Nothing similar showed up in him. I’ve had him 4 months now. Ironically the other killi is still alive in the tank at Petco. It still looks the same, no better no worse. I’ve tried searching “internal parasites” and all I got was a bit nauseous. Is anyone familiar with this condition? Next time I’m at Petco, I’m gonna snap a pic.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here's a pic of a female bluefin killifish with a similar parasite-like bump, right rear side of her stomach area, as I initially described at the beginning of this thread. This fish came as part of an order I just received. It and the others are in quarantine. She and the other are eating well and show no other signs of illness other than stress when they first arrived. Can anyone provide an ID?
Fin Fish Underwater Tail Marine biology

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again! Any idea what type of parasite/critter makes that yellowish bump? I'm stumped. I have sent a request for ID to the company I purchased it from. It's the same type of yellowish bump on the female that was in the tank with the adult male I bought weeks ago. He's never shown any sign of it. She's still alive and in the same tank at Petco but she has multiple yellowish internal bumps.

Well, I just googled parasites of Florida freshwater fish and found this critter: Clinostomum marginatum If this is what she has, then looks like I need to euthanize her because I don't think it's treatable. From a quick read, it is infectious if the carrier dies. I shall continue looking.

I just found this at 10.6. Flukes :
“Yellow Grub” (Clinostomum marginatum)
There is a very rare type of trematode fluke found very rarely in pond raised fish in the aquarium. This rare creature is common on game fish in lakes and streams and called a “yellow grub” by fishermen. But this flatworm has a life cycle that requires three hosts, a fish, a bird and a snail. So it cannot reproduce in an aquarium. It is a 1/8 to 1/4 inch long yellow worm that lives curled up in a cyst just under the skin and scales of a fish. It can be controlled only by praziquantel or fenbendazole only in the food.

Since my last post I’ve read way way too much about this “yellow grub” trematode. It can only reinfect after it it is released at the death or consumption of the fish by a bird. Then it goes into a different stage that is released back into water so to transfer to a snail host. After a time, it is again released into the water where it next seeks a fish host. And the circle begins again.
But I am now inspired to not only order medicated food, found the proper type at a site called Angels Plus, to treat the one bluefin killi but and considering asking Petco if they’d give me a deal on the female they have with yellow grub. Might as well make the time and effort on her too.
Bluefin killis have parasited my brain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts