The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several days back I set up a 10 gallon shrimp only tank. In it I put a bunch of java moss from my 29 gallon shrimp and fish tank. I also took the HOB filter from the 29 gallon tank filled with ceramic rings (All uncleaned) as well as about 5 gallons of water from that tank and placed it in the 10 gallon.

In the 29 gallon tank are threadfin rainbows, furcata rainbows, some zebra danios (they got the tank established), a couple otto cats, and a trio of algae eating gobies as well as a number of shrimp.

This afternoon while sitting in front of the new 10 gallon shrimp only (?) tank I noticed what appeared to be a tiny baby fish stuck to the wall of the tank. It may be 1/4 inch long at the most, is transparent with a pair of tiny eyes. It's tail moving with the current of the water. It looks like it may be an ottocinclus, though I can't guarantee that. I'm thinking it hatched from an egg that was deposited in the java moss.

Anyone here know what a baby otto would eat? Think it might find enough food from the java moss? I'm feeding the shrimp (cherries) sinking wafers and shrimp pellets.

Thanks!
Rob

·
Registered
646 Posts
maybe you could put some rocks in water in the window or outside and let them grown algae

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: There are now several fry... all free swimming... along with some newly hatched cherry shrimp. Guessing the fish are still living off their yolks. Bought some "fry' food today, and added a little of that to the tank when I fed the shrimp.

Oh... and my first planaria (flatworm) ever (after 30+ years of keeping fish) showed up in that tank today too. Have no idea where it came from. LOL!

Thanks for the link, Laurelee... it is a great resource.

Will let y'all know what these babies really are when they grow up some! (Fingers crossed!)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Will be interesting to see what they turn out to be. My guess is that it´s zebra danios (just because they spawn even if you don´t want them to...)

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whatever they turn out to be I'll be excited. :) My first baby fish aside from livebearers!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Actually, they can in the beginning stages. When they are still with the egg yolk, they can often be found clinging to walls like this:
Really? I've never had fry stick to walls- they're always on the bottom or in bubblenests or caves on on plants... just never on the walls. Learn something new every day! :icon_smil

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another update: The fry are still swimming... feeding them fry food, assuming they're actually eating it, they swim after it!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I thought Ottos were very difficult to breed in captivity and that they were group spawners, and since he only has two...

Anyway, it will be nice to solve the mistery. Also I´d guess otto fry wouldn´t be "free-swimmers" but bottom dwellers, glass stickers, etc?

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi all...

It's been nearly a month now, 2 of the 6 (or so) fry have survived and they are now nearly full colored. They are Zebra danios, but they were bred by my fish in my tank so they're extra special zebras! :)

It's been fun watching them grow up from nearly invisible near-nothings to very near to neon blues and golds to their current typically-colored zebras. All within a few weeks. They are even acting like zebras, too, chasing each other around the tank.

Soon I will be putting them in my third tank, this one with no shrimp or other zebras so I can keep a close eye on them.

It's been fun!

:)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Congratulations! I guessed it!!! I like zebra danios they are very "happy" fish that make excellent dither fish and a large group looks awesome in a planted tank. I had a group of 10, unfortunately some were already very old and the other died when the tank broke, still have a couple survivors. Will certainly get more when I set it up again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Congrads...Long story short I had 2 surprise frys too not too long ago. At first I thought they were Praecox rainbows, but turned out they grew up (very fast) to be 2 zebra danio. Zebra danio isn't one of my favorite fish but I bought their parents because they can live through a nuclear attack I think, so I used them to cycle my tank. Now the 2 babies are almost adult size now but I can't let them go because they are my first non live bearing babies too. Talk about the invisible ebilical cord or in this case, yolk sac. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts