The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one of my tanks I have a bunch of platies and one of the males started looking a bit skinny last week. He was looking a bit lethargic and I moved him to another tank. He is still lethargic but he is still eating. All of the other platies are doing fine, but I had 10+ ppm nitrate and .5 ppm ammonia which could cause the fish some stress and in turn, disease. I checked for stuff like worms in the anus and external parasites, but found nothing. I tried treating with api general cure, but no luck. I really gotta know what this fish has before he wastes away. If anyone knows, what should I treat him with?

·
Banned
628 Posts
Ammonia sure seems to set off diseases. This is what happened to my Angelfish. There was a little bit of Ammonia and the next thing I knew the fish was sick. I'm not sure what med to try next. Are you sometimes adding vitamins to the fish's food? That really helped stimulate my Angelfish's appetite. Did you use medicated food with the General Cure? I used deworming food. Did you repeat the General Cure treatment or just do it once for two days? Any signs of bloating? A course of Seachem Kanaplex might help. It doesn't sound like a job for Erythromycin. But who knows. It's so hard to tell without a microscope.

EDIT: Duh, Fish looks skinny so I ask if there's any sign of bloating. Disregard.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
How did you treat with API GC? Did you feed it to the fish or dose it into the water column? How are you on water changes?

Also uhh...didn't you ask this question a while ago? Or did I just dream up a previous post of yours?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.