The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Michaela, I am new to this forum. Four month ago I started a new 40 gal planted tank. I started noticing some weird brown” root like” algae growth on my Java ferns. It does not spread to the acrylic of my tank, and spreads slowly. It’s not soft and hair like but more firm and with branches like a brownish thin root. I couldn’t find any pics online that shows this type of algae.

I am still trying to figure out how to attach a pic to this thread. Any ideas how to get rid of it? I have a Finnex planted + 24/7 hlc light and CaribSea Eco complete stratum. I recently started using Seachem Excel, flourish, advance and potassium . The algae was there before I started using these products. A couple of days ago I added PhosGuard to my HOB filter.

Thank you!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Michaela,

to me it sound more like your java fern is spreading, making new shoots than algae.

I don't know much about your setup, but usually you dont want to use a phosphate remover in a planted tanks. Your plants needs phosphate to grow. Especially your java fern, since it will absorb it from the water column.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.