The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
569 Posts
I'll stay with wild-caughts. The mortality rate I have with wild cardinals is far less than what I've experienced with the farm-raised ones and their color leaves little room for improvement.

· Registered
569 Posts
Well, by the time wild caughts arrive in your aquarium, only the hardiest individuals have survived. But for each one you put in your tank, another one died.
Wow, if your experience is that tragic you should rethink how you land your fish and/or find yourself a different supplier.

I don't have issues anywhere close to what you have stated. It may be your opinion but it is far from factual.

· Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear here. What I meant was that wholesalers, importers, and LFS have immense losses - often around 50% (I think this was also stated in one of the articles somewhere). Accordingly, for every wild caught fish that makes it into a consumer's aquarium, one has died somewhere on the road of the supply chain.

· Registered
569 Posts
I'm not sure who compiled the data but I've been importing fish for a long time and 4% -5% mortality rate is a lot more accurate in my experience and that includes species that are known to be extremely fragile like Altums. In most cases with Tetras and other fish from the Amazon, people are taking fish from soft, acidic water and putting them in tanks filled with the liquid rock they call tapwater without taking the time to let the fish adjust. Naturally, it's everyone elses fault that the fish died.

There are too many factors that effect the mortality rate to make blanket statements that wild fish are inferior in hardiness. It all depends on the shipper and the experiece of the people receiving the fish.

I have dealt with shippers that did such a horrible job of packing that if 35% survived it was a miracle but those places don't stay in business very long. Out of 1000 Weitzmani Tetras that I imported I think I lost maybe 3-5 fish total. I thnk that alone blows a big hole in the 50% doa theory.

· Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Hm, I have worked with some big name Asian importers, and large losses were pretty common. Not that every shipment has them, but you also have to account for the occasional container sitting in quarantine a day too long or being forgotten at the pickup station. I just believe in buying local as much as possible as responsible fischkeeping should start at the beginning of the supply chain.

Edit: Argh, where is my brain? You have been talking about wild caughts all the time, and I have been even saying "wild caught" all the time, but actually I was talking about cheap imports from (mostly Chinese) farms.

Apologies, just disregard my posts. There is nothing wrong with wild caughts, provided they are caught/shipped responsibly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.