The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm very worried about my pleco. I'm not entirely sure of the species, but he is a small one. He is simply sitting on the gravel, doesn't even move much when the algae magnet come near him. I don't see any visible injuries/infections. He gets algae pellets 2/3 times a week, but honestly, I never see him eat them. No sunken belly though. Have tried to feed him veggies in the past but he has never been interested. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as he is my favourite fish!

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Plecos may look like one another but they vary a great deal in what they need to eat. If you post a good clear photo here or go through the photos at catfishplanet.com maybe you can help him out.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Plecos may look like one another but they vary a great deal in what they need to eat. If you post a good clear photo here or go through the photos at catfishplanet.com maybe you can help him out.
This is a great suggestion. I keep 7 different types of plecos, and this is the site that I used to learn about the needs and habits of them. Some of them have drastically different requirements. If you cannot find a photo that looks like your pleco, please post a photo and I am sure someone on this forum can help you out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Unfortunately, I have lectures and labs till 4 30, so I won't be home till 5. I'll do my best to look at the link, but it's a bit hard to look through 700 species on an iPhone. When I get home, I will either figure it out or post a picture. Hopefully he is still okay when I get home. I actually thought he was dead until he moved. I have never seen him behave like this before. Usually he (I'm just going to say he) is either in his cave or on the glass. Come to think of it, he was acting a bit strangely a few days a go, swimming up and down the side glass from top to bottom. He wasn't gulping though, and I have had one do that once before, so I didn't worry. Thanks for the help, I'll update when I get home. If anyone has any ideas in the mean time, please speak up!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, he has driftwood. The pleco I had for 3+years before this one ate a lot of it, but there is still plenty there. This seems very sudden to be a starvation issue though...

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Some other things you might try...

Plenty of hiding spots
Other species of pleco can cause stress
Cucumber, zuchinni, or squash
a good water change will help determine if its water/filter related if he perks up for a few days
Heat. Most plecos like really warm water. check your heater

I agree that an ID can be hard on Planet Catfish. I have listed basic needs for a variety of plecos that should find you a cure. Unless he needs medication.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
That looks like a common pleco to me. I had one for about 3 years. I didn't see him eat until the second year lol. Keep feeding him algae wafers. I'm sure he's eating them at night. He will eventually outgrow your tank though if properly cared for. Mine grew to 6 inches before I rehomed him to a 135g.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.