The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have java fern in several tanks, all are different substrates, different fish, different lights. All are low tech, low-medium light. I let the plants do their thing, in this tank vallisneria went nuts since June. Nitrates are always in the 20-40 range, water is around pH 8 and on the harder side. Java fern never does well for me. Almost no new growth from the rhizome, very often holes in leaves appear after some time. In some tanks it makes babies, but they don't grow either, to no surprise. What is it missing most likely? Potassium?

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
It does look like potassium, I remember my Ludwigia Repens having holes in leafs specifically old growth and dosing potassium helped. Low tech tanks doesn't mean that additional fertilization is not needed. Try to give it some potassium and see how things go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you vanostav61!
I do fertilize ssome tanks and java fern is not a happy camper there either. I am still learning the dosing schedule and all that stuff, that's one reason why I have several tanks albeit with different conditions. But since most other plants do well, the "beginner friendly" java fern across the board has me somewhat puzzled :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
These comments are funny - my Java Ferns grow like crazy and I don't remember to fertilize them often. When I do, it's just Easy Green.

However, I put some plantlets in straight tap water (intending to give away) and they all died. I guess the chlorine did them in?

I can't grow moss for anything. Not even Java. The only moss like thing that grows is subwassertang, and that's not moss lol.

I'm using Aquasoil which lowers PH - maybe that's got something to do with it?

I *can* grow moss in tap water on a chilly windowsill - I think it hates 78 degree water.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.