The Planted Tank Forum banner

unfiltered shrimp tank?

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  jpollick 
#1 ·
is it possible to keep a few shrimp in this tank? it is ~18 gallons, full of java moss and i would be doing a weekly 50% water change. there would be a small pump like this: [Ebay Link Removed]
but nothing else in terms of filtration.

#3 ·
IMO and MO only, you can skip the filter if you're going to keep just a few shrimps in an 18gallon tank. I'm acclimating 20 or so RCS into my 20long right now. All it has are two 40gph powerhead and an airstone; tank has been set up for almost 5 months now.

BUT!!! only if you have: [all these should be met IMO]
- an established tank
- planted
- a way to prevent stagnant water

#8 ·
sponge filter isn't really an option as the water depth is only 4.5 inches (it's a vivarium). i do have a sponge filter, but i don't think it would run that shallow or provide water movement like an internal filter/little pump would.

my idea was to grab a little internal filter with a decent flow rate of about 100gph to get good water movement and just do water changes and cleaning to keep water quality up. i do have shrimp in my other planted tank, but i wasn't sure how they would do in this setup since they can be pretty fussy about water quality.

#13 ·
that is very very cool! i'm seriously considering incorporating that into my tank. the problem is my tank is not really a tank, it is a vivarium with a false bottom and an open area in the front. the water runs the whole way along the bottom of the tank under the false bottom, but i plan to section that off so stuff can't get in underneath.

i wasn't originally planning on having anything living in the water section of the tank, but thought it might be cool to have a few shrimp.

i am going to incorporate a drip wall into the back of the tank using a small pump that will pump water out and up the back wall where it will run back down into the water (so i can grow plants all along the back). so there isn't much in the way of filtration or even water movement for that matter. i was considering getting another pump/power head/small internal filter if i can find one to provide water movement under the false bottom.

this idea is really intriguing because i could build it, solve some of my filtration problems (or at least lessen them) and also get water movement and it would (i hope) fit under my false bottom! :D:D

i hope i have enough outlets for all this XD

#12 ·
Amanos are pretty hardy, a few in 18 gallons of water is nothing if you are keeping up on the water change. I'd just make sure your water parameters are ok for the shrimp.

I have 5 juvies ones an inch in an Eclipse 12 with just the bio-wheel and moss. They do [censored][censored][censored][censored] a lot though for being small, it is a bare tank and I just siphoned a lot of crap out. I can only imagine how much the ones in my 55G are releasing since they are at least 2-3x their size. I have like 10 in a 55G.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.