The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen that a few people have unfiltered nanos and I'm looking for input on this. I have a 2.5g with a handful of cherries (three juv, two babies). I have two reasons for not wanting to filter it. (1) I would like to take it into the office this summer. They allow betta bowls, but not fish tanks. I can disguise this as a betta bowl with shrimp instead of a betta, as long as I don't have a filter. (2) I recently acquired a nifty floating plant. It's small and would not take the water movement well.

I think that with twice weekly water changes, I could maintain this with no problems, as long as I keep the number of cherries down.

I'm looking for input on this. I attached a photo. The lighting is a 15W spiral in an architect's lamp. I don't dose ferts regularly. I replanted it a couple days ago, but it has been setup since Jan as a guppy fry tank.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the ignorance, but ... why would they not allow a filter? Noise issues?
I don't think it's the noise. It's that they don't really look that good. The office must look "perfect" at the end of the day. Maybe I could hide a small canister filter under the desk or behind my computer monitor or make one in a decorative container... Hmm...

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
You should be fine with no filter. I have a 2.5 gallon with two male endlers, 30 small cherry shrimp, and no filter or heater. The only equipment the tank has is a 20w scew in CF bulb. I change the water about once every two weeks or when I think about it. I would recommend more plants if you go without a filter, mine is stuffed full.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should be fine with no filter. I have a 2.5 gallon with two male endlers, 30 small cherry shrimp, and no filter or heater. The only equipment the tank has is a 20w scew in CF bulb. I change the water about once every two weeks or when I think about it. I would recommend more plants if you go without a filter, mine is stuffed full.
Is the profile photo the most recent? Or do you have another? I'm curious how "stuffed full" it is.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just because it is how I am..... set up a 55 gal with no filter. When there are objections let the 'powers that be' see the azoo. I am pretty sure they will give the ok.
Yes, but a 55 gal is OBVIOUSLY a fish tank. The 2.5 is more easily disguised as a betta bowl

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Is the profile photo the most recent? Or do you have another? I'm curious how "stuffed full" it is.
It looks nothing like that anymore, it was the only pic I had of the tank to put into the profile. I'll try to get a current picture tomorrow. Stuffed full to me means there is no more room for plants. I might be able to sqeeze something into the foreground, but it is pretty full as it is.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cjyhc4- If you show them the sleak look of the azoo palm filter then you may get away with it. From reading other sites I believe its a quiet filter. IMO it should be on every nano just for appearance.
I have a black Red Sea Nano that I could use if need be. Suggestions for an intake pre-filter/sponge/covering? I typically use quilt batting, but it's white and ends up looking really nasty after a week or so.

Also, any suggestions for keeping my floating plant floating? The only tanks I ever manage to keep floating plants in are unfiltered (and uninhabited, except for snails).

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looks nothing like that anymore, it was the only pic I had of the tank to put into the profile. I'll try to get a current picture tomorrow. Stuffed full to me means there is no more room for plants. I might be able to sqeeze something into the foreground, but it is pretty full as it is.
Look forward to seeing your tank

I had a few extra stems of Bacopa australis and Rotala rotundifolia that I added, as well as a couple tiny E. somethings (possibly Echinodorus parviflorus) and Dwarf Sags. I'm going to give them a few days to settle in and decide where to go from there. The Wolfiella sure has taken off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You should be fine without a filter. I'm trying my 2.5 on weekly 25% water changes. Its doing fine with some rotala rotundifolia, blyxa japonica, and java moss and a trio of Rasbora Hets. Eventually the fish are going into my 5.5 and the 2.5 will be shrimp only. I'm using 18W CF (CurrentUSA), and dosing Excel and Flourish.

I have a planted betta bowl (~96 oz) at my office. Our rules are we cannot have anything we plug in. The moss and fern seem to be doing alright with ~20% water changes 2x weekly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.