The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my first CO2 setup and have decided to go with a paintball setup for space reasons. I was leaning towards the Ultum Nature Systems Mini regulator that goes for about $160 unless anyone had any other recommendations for a good quality regulator I'm not going to have to just upgrade later. CO2 – Ultum Nature Systems I want something reliable that won't do end of tank CO2 dumps. My question is this. The regulator is gauged up to 90psi but the paintball tanks are rated to 3000psi. When I get my paintball tank filled do I have to have them only fill it to 90psi or risk blowing out my regulator? Sorry if this is a dumb question

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I'm getting my first CO2 setup and have decided to go with a paintball setup for space reasons. I was leaning towards the Ultum Nature Systems Mini regulator that goes for about $160 unless anyone had any other recommendations for a good quality regulator I'm not going to have to just upgrade later. CO2 – Ultum Nature Systems I want something reliable that won't do end of tank CO2 dumps. My question is this. The regulator is gauged up to 90psi but the paintball tanks are rated to 3000psi. When I get my paintball tank filled do I have to have them only fill it to 90psi or risk blowing out my regulator? Sorry if this is a dumb question
Most dual stage regulator have 2 gauges, one that shows how much is in the tank (this is your 3000psi number) and another guage that shows how much pressure you are filling your line with. The UNS regulator says it has a dual stage failsafe system, so giving them the benefit of the doubt, they only are showing the working pressure (the pressure in the line) - this is your 0-90psi on the gauge.

I have not heard anything about the UNS regulators. I think they might be relatively new? Anyway usually the cheap but still not terrible regulator recommended is the co2art regulator. It is slightly cheaper then the uns regulator and has 2 gauges. The other option is the diy route where you buy used dual stage regulator (typically 30 to 50 dollars) and then buy the little bits needed to attach the solenoid, needle valve and port. You buy those parts either from the for sale section here or from diyco2regulator.com. This is your best quality option, you will never need to replace this regulator. It is potentially (depending on how much spend on the used regulator) the cheapest option available as well. It does require you to use a wrench and bits of thread sealing tape though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Paintball for the most part has gone to high pressure air instead of CO2, in fact most fields do not even keep CO2 anymore. This is where you see the 3000psi and 4500psi paintball tanks, which are designed for HPA. CO2 paintball tanks are generally rated by how many ounces they hold, ex. 20oz or 24oz tanks and at room temp they are generally somewhere between 800-900psi. Make sure that you are looking at CO2 paintball tanks and not HPA.

·
Registered
43 Posts
onlycrimson is correct. It sounds like you are talking about HPA Paintball tanks (3000 - 4500 PSI) which are not to be used for CO2. Paintball CO2 tanks are different as they are only filled to 900PSI. Below is a 20oz Paintball CO2 tank with regulator next to a 48ci (note the different measurements). Any reputable filler won't even fill the HPA tank with CO2.

If space is the main issue then you could also look at 2.5lbs CO2 tanks, as they are only like an inch or 2 taller than a 20oz paintball. Here is my 2.5lbs tank (covered with black shelf paper to blend) next to the 20oz paintball tank:

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That mini UNS system looks very similar to the Fzone mini one, which is advertised as a triple stage? I actually purchased one to try out and found the connections especially the solenoid extremely flimsy and couldn't get a consistent slow bubble count for a nano. I actually was sent a new one and same thing.

Fzone Mini
Interesting. I have found the needle valve on the mini to be pretty good. The needle valves on the dual output FZONE are harder to dial in than the Mini for me. Also the solenoid for the mini run cool and without issues for me.

Obviously mileage may vary but I ran the Mini on a 5 gal nano with a bubble rate of 1 bubble every 3 seconds and it held very well.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Interesting. I have found the needle valve on the mini to be pretty good. The needle valves on the dual output FZONE are harder to dial in than the Mini for me. Also the solenoid for the mini run cool and without issues for me.

Obviously mileage may vary but I ran the Mini on a 5 gal nano with a bubble rate of 1 bubble every 3 seconds and it held very well.
Yep, YMMV is very true. I even got another one, same thing and I've used plenty of regs. I don't know if it's really 3-stage, but for me the most important thing is how good the NV holds. Creeping NVs kill the most fish, not EOTD. I thing this is mostly fear mongering. A single stage with a good NV is far better than a dual stage with a crappy NV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts