The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 20g with a lone pleco (unplanted tank). The tank has been home to many fish since it was setup 5 years ago. It has only an undergravel filter. When I picked it up, the previous owner gravel vac'd out 2-3 gallons while cleaning the gravel and commented on how little mess there was (I laughed inside). It was more like sludge than anything else. When I put fresh water in it, the water turned thick as pea soup with the grime from the gravel where I was pouring. I'm going to clean the gravel over the next couple weeks, so it's not such an upset.

The point I'm trying to get to... It has an undergravel filter that has been set up for over 5 years. I hate to think about the sludge under the filter plates. Is it a good idea to break down the tank and clean some of that up every few years or will it be alright for several more? I can't see it helping the filtration process any, except for the bacteria in it, but at the same time there's lots of rotting stuff and stuff keeping the water from flowing well through it.

Should I break it down and clean it when I move over the summer? I should probably get a new filter, but I'll save that for a few years from now, if I even still have this tank then.

·
Registered
517 Posts
isn't that grime slime stuff "mulm"? I think to help the undergravel system along better every now and then you need to put a power head backwards onto the risers to push water down and up through the grille to force some of that slime up into the water column where you filter it out with something else.. that sounds really rediculous but that's what i just assumed after reading the purpose of a "reverse flow" power head.. plz correct me if i'm wrong :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Personally, I would tear it down and disinfect everything. You don't know the total history of this tank; treatment with chemicals, diseases, parasites, etc. I assume you have another tank, so you can always "jump-start" this 10g with water and media from your established tank. Better to be safe than sorry, I say. :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
It's not a planted tank tho. I wouldn't dare put a live plant in with Mr. Pleco
Why not? What type of Pleco Is it?

When I put fresh water in it, the water turned thick as pea soup with the grime from the gravel where I was pouring.

When I fill a tank, I put a bowl on the substrate and pour the water on it, so it doesn't disturb it......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts