The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks zachary...I have seen that one and think the floss would end up yucky. I just wonder if the sand would be controllable in the sand version.

Both look great!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
That actually seems rather cool. Thanks for the link.
Yes thanks for that link as I have seen pictures of that tank before and wondered how the waterfall effect was created. Very cool concept but don't know how practical it would be with filters and current in a tank. I would assume that it was only on for the pictures.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
One of the contest winning tanks from a few years back used a flow of fine white sand as the waterfall. I don't recall how it was pumped, and I'm sure the effect would be hard to maintain for very long, but it was beautiful.

·
Registered
430 Posts
There used to be a number of commercial kits for Sand Falls in tanks. However, it was too easy for the sand to escape to other parts of the tank or algae to grow and weight down the sand.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I was checking these out a few months ago, neat!

·
Registered
313 Posts
One of the contest winning tanks from a few years back used a flow of fine white sand as the waterfall. I don't recall how it was pumped, and I'm sure the effect would be hard to maintain for very long, but it was beautiful.
Maybe an airlift. This is common in water treatment filters.

·
Registered
417 Posts
yeah, airstone in a tube that moves air water and sand up that then collects at the top, the sand moves up with the air and water flow, then at the top of the tube, the sand falls out of the flow and onto a tilted shelf that comes out as the fall... the sand is collected in a trough in the bottom and the water inflow from the airstone and tube pulls the sand back into the system. The air is vented lower in the upper chamber so that the flow of water comes out the "mouth" of the fall...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts