The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a 25 gallon cube tank that I bought off Craigslist. It was set up as a saltwater tank..
This will be a low tech tank that hopefully will have a simple natural, but modern look.
The driftwood I will be using to scape the tank was found at a local lake.

Its been about 6 years since I had a tank going and I miss how relaxing having an aquarium is. Im really excited to be starting up a new build and anyone who wants to tag along with my progress is welcome.:biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks good so far...subscribed and looking forward to updates

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good so far...subscribed and looking forward to updates
Thanks!

Here is some pictures of a lake that my family and I went to a couple weeks ago.. It had driftwood washed up in piles! I got enough pieces for my my 25 cube and my 5 gallon i'm also starting right now!

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got one bag of black sand from petco to go with some eco complete I already had. This stuff took over an hour to wash all the dust out! We had to put it in a pillowcase and just keep flushing water through it. I think the dust made up at least a pound of the overall weight..:icon_mad:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your husband got great wood working skills!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Yea, he did a great job. It was a bit of trial and error since it was the first canopy he ever built, but it turned out great. I'll post some pics of it painted later today.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking good, any plans for what fish or plants?
This is going to be a female Betta sorority tank. Thats one reason i'm going to be putting in more driftwood than I might typically want. They like their tanks to be heavily decorated and planted.
On the plants, i'm going to be asking for suggestions, but right now I have a lot of Lysimachia nummularia, which I call creeping Jenny to go in.
The light that came with the tank is not going to work for plants so I have to replace it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What sort of light are you planning to get on there? CO2 or no?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What sort of light are you planning to get on there? CO2 or no?
No CO2, to be honest i'm very confused about what lighting i'm going to need. I got a thread posted in the lighting forum asking for recommendations.
This is a low tech tank and I plan to grow easy low light plants in it. So I just need to figure out what bulbs I can get on my budget that will fit under my canopy and achieve a good low/medium PAR for this tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No CO2, to be honest i'm very confused about what lighting i'm going to need. I got a thread posted in the lighting forum asking for recommendations.
This is a low tech tank and I plan to grow easy low light plants in it. So I just need to figure out what bulbs I can get on my budget that will fit under my canopy and achieve a good low/medium PAR for this tank.
I really like what you did with your drift wood selection. Lots of character there. I don't know what your budget is, but consider getting a Finnex fugeray or Finnex Ray2 LED light. They have a low profile, should fit inside your hood and put out plenty of light for what you want to do.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really like what you did with your drift wood selection. Lots of character there. I don't know what your budget is, but consider getting a Finnex fugeray or Finnex Ray2 LED light. They have a low profile, should fit inside your hood and put out plenty of light for what you want to do.
Thanks, I will check into those lights but i'm on a fairly tight budget so that's holding me back from having a lot of choices.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts