The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a Mr. Aqua rimless tank w/ the same footprint as an ADA 90p but slightly taller so it holds ~53 gals. The ADA garden mats for 90p's and larger are 5/16" (8mm) thick. Would a 1/4" thick yoga mat (~6.3mm) be a sufficient replacement?

TIA!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey all, I have a Mr. Aqua rimless tank w/ the same footprint as an ADA 90p but slightly taller so it holds ~53 gals. The ADA garden mats for 90p's and larger are 5/16" (8mm) thick. Would a 1/4" thick yoga mat (~6.3mm) be a sufficient replacement?

TIA!
1/4'' would be more than sufficient IMO.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Depends upon how flat the surface is of course! If the surface is completely flat and clean then a 1mm thickness would be enough, so a 6mm+ yoga mat should be just fine. (I have a sheet of 2mm glittery craft foam under one of my tanks because that's all I could get during lock down - sparkly!)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha bling bling!

Good point about how even the top of the stand is. Logic!

Depends upon how flat the surface is of course! If the surface is completely flat and clean then a 1mm thickness would be enough, so a 6mm+ yoga mat should be just fine. (I have a sheet of 2mm glittery craft foam under one of my tanks because that's all I could get during lock down - sparkly!)

·
Registered
475 Posts
My new 180g tank is 72" long and 24" wide. I could not find a yoga pad long/wide enough for my tank. I found a closed cell camping mat at Walmart in the camping section that was 80" long, 30" wide and about 1/2" thick for about $25. It is working perfectly!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice find! The reason I preferred a yoga mat is that my stand is white and didn't want a black line running under the tank (1st-world problems, I know). There are 1/2" yoga mats out there tho.

But $25 for a 6ft-long 1/2"-thick mat is great IMHO, and I hadn't heard of anyone using a camping mat for this purpose previously. Nice!

My new 180g tank is 72" long and 24" wide. I could not find a yoga pad long/wide enough for my tank. I found a closed cell camping mat at Walmart in the camping section that was 80" long, 30" wide and about 1/2" thick for about $25. It is working perfectly!

·
snails are your friend
3,025 Posts
You don't ever want a super thick mat anyway. When you have that, it *can* put pressure on the bottom panel of glass, which is often tempered and can shatter. A thinner mat should be enough to relive pressure points without making too much contact with the bottom pane.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info! It never occurred to me that a mat being too think could ever affect the bottom pane's integrity.

You don't ever want a super thick mat anyway. When you have that, it *can* put pressure on the bottom panel of glass, which is often tempered and can shatter. A thinner mat should be enough to relive pressure points without making too much contact with the bottom pane.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts