The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My heater broke and my tank temp is at 68. I won't be able to get another heater until sometime next week..... I do have a small under tank reptile heater that sticks to the glass under the tank. Would that be safe to use in the meantime? Of course I would keep an eye on the tank to make sure the temp doesnt got to high but all I'm looking for is to raise the temp a little bit until i get a new heater. Will the glass break?

Clint

·
Registered
392 Posts
I wouldn't use it on the bottom. I've heard stories of the bottoms of tanks busting when they put heaters on them. I've put a reptile heater on the back of a 2.5 gallon and had no problems, but it might depend on the size of your tank, because a 2.5 gallon tank doesn't have that much pressure on the back pane of glass.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe putting it on the side of the tank? Smaller panel? I just don't want the low temps ruining/killing/melting or wilting the plants. I have already found a few dead snalls....

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't think you're going to get much more than a degree or two increase out of that heater, which isn't going to make much difference. But if you want to give it a try at your own risk, feel free

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah.... I guess it isn't worth the risk. Thanks for the input though. Maybe I will just turn the heat up in the house ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.