The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some one gave me two ten gallon tanks and I want to set one up for shrimp. Thought I would let it sit empty while it cycles. I have an under gravel filter for a ten gallon tank and was wondering if this would work for shrimp or if I should just go with the sponge filter?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
it can work just fine its all a matter of preference each one has there ups an downs. i still use them even on my planted tank with shrimps. you will have roots over time migrate into them , no dirt or fine sand that can fall through the holes but thats about it. on the up side you dont have to worry about your shrimp going to your intake as they would really have to work at it. so its really about how you want to set it up and what matterials you are going to use if you dont use sand or dirt really shouldnt have any issue from my experiance.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
UGF all the way. Best for shrimp tanks. No prefilter sponge needed, entire substrate becomes bio filter and it clears cloudy Aquasoil like nobody's business. You can add a sponge filter in addition to your UGF. LOTS of shrimp breeders use this set up. Go check shrimmpnow.com for some breeder set ups.

You'll breed mad shrimps this way if you can dial in your water.

And if you really don't like your UGF after you set it up...you can always still use a sponge filter later...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UGF all the way. Best for shrimp tanks. No prefilter sponge needed, entire substrate becomes bio filter and it clears cloudy Aquasoil like nobody's business. You can add a sponge filter in addition to your UGF. LOTS of shrimp breeders use this set up. Go check shrimmpnow.com for some breeder set ups.

You'll breed mad shrimps this way if you can dial in your water.

And if you really don't like your UGF after you set it up...you can always still use a sponge filter later...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I buggered that "quote". Any way. I was thinking that if I used the under gravel filter that ti would use the substrate as bio filter. Sweet. Plus this means that I can set the tank up right away. Also after the tank is cycled and has been running for a while do I really need to replace the carbon cartridges? Won't they just become one more spot to collect beneficial bacteria??

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i wouldnt even use carbon its really pointless unless your removing meds or something. im about ready to see if i can rehook up my canister to my ugf an it would be perfect imo.

So instead of using an air pump I could just use a power head? Or I was kinda thinking about using an otter box to make a DIY external filter. ???

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
So instead of using an air pump I could just use a power head? Or I was kinda thinking about using an otter box to make a DIY external filter. ???

yea you can use what ever pleases you, one thing if you do get a power head make sure u seal the little hole on top if your not using the air tubing to make micro bubbles as it does create a vacuum and can pull fish/shrimp and harm them or kill them*its not likely but i have experienced it lost my fav syno. petracola* your just making a canister filter so theres no diff from one premade vs homemade they all work..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Off topic, but Danno are you Hindu or just a big fan of Ganesh? :)

I consider myself a "polythiest" (I don't wanna be tied down to just one God). I have mad love for Lord Ganesh and he is the" over comer of obstacles" and should be invoked before beginning a new endeavour. That's my understanding any way. So since I am new to this hobby I decided that Ganesh would be an good avatar for me.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.