The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what fish would be considered uncommon (or rare) for a planted tank?

CPD?

·
Registered
486 Posts
CPD are pretty common. Most FW fish are farmed so not many are considered rare. Bred out mutations and variations of species though are a different story like in the case of Koi and Arowana.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I believe true zebra plecos prefer sand or fine gravel and a good amount of caves more than plants, but I could be wrong. What about botia sidthimunki (or Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki, dwarf loach by its other names)? I can find them locally on special order, but most places have never heard or seen them, but that would probably be different elsewhere.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Sphaerichthys osphromenoides (Chocolate Gourami), not for faint of heart.

But seriously, sort of depends on your tank? Otherwise, I say a sperm whale :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Green Flash, are you specifically just looking for a very small rare fish? Or are we talking about rare fish in general regardless of size.

I guess it depends on the area you live in. Where I am I would consider Rasbora Briggitae pretty rare. I never see them in stores and would love to get some eventually.

There also seems to be a lot of beautiful variation in the killifish family, and I NEVER see them in stores.

Another rarity that comes to mind is the surface dwelling form of the blind cave tetra (the non-blind form with silver scales and red fin pigment). I would love to get my hands on some of those, even though they aren't considered particularly remarkable.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
African Butterfly fish (Pantodon buchholzi), Some species of Betta are considered rare as well

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just curious on what is out there, good ones are being posted, keep them coming. :)

To be more specific, nano fish in particular.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts