The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble with this algae. I do weekly 50% water changes and gravel clean lightly. At this point, I'm wondering where I'm going wrong. Is my light too bright? Are my plants to dense and need more space? I just don't know how to clear this and I don't want to dose Excel.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don’t think the plants are too dense. The more plants the better. Do you have good flow throughout the tank? I feel for ya. It can be so frustrating trying to narrow down the reasons for algae growth. It usually boils down to light and nutrients…not enough or too much. Wish I could help. With my planted 75 I just kept adjusting both until I finally achieved balance.
It looks like hair algae to me. There are methods to get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don’t think the plants are too dense. The more plants the better. Do you have good flow throughout the tank? I feel for ya. It can be so frustrating trying to narrow down the reasons for algae growth. It usually boils down to light and nutrients…not enough or too much. Wish I could help. With my planted 75 I just kept adjusting both until I finally achieved balance.
It looks like hair algae to me. There are methods to get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm definitely frustrated. Thank you for your help. Maybe I have too much light.
I have pretty decent sway in all my plants. I would imagine I do, but I'm ordering an adjustable spray bar, and will improve it further.

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ok, the WRGB 2 is only 49W. I don't think you have too much light. I run two 100W flood lights on my 75Gal and I feel like I could add more.

Your plants seem to be growing fine except the algae, which I don't think it's caused by too much light.

I think something is wrong with your fertilization. Besides the algae I see some twisted leafs and some leafs with holes, correct?

Your spreadsheet shows how much you are dosing but do you have readings of what is actually in your water? N P K
Regarding your Micros, I see you are dosing 3 times a week but how many milliliters per dose are you adding?

·
Registered
552 Posts
How did you determine the wattage? I haven't seen the aquarium size mentioned:
this is the data:
30cm-45cm -> 33 watt
45cm-60cm -> 49 watt
60cm-80cm -> 67 watt
90cm-110cm -> 100 watt
120cm-140cm -> 130 watt
-

Ok, the WRGB 2 is only 49W. I don't think you have too much light. I run two 100W flood lights on my 75Gal and I feel like I could add more.

Your plants seem to be growing fine except the algae, which I don't think it's caused by too much light.

I think something is wrong with your fertilization. Besides the algae I see some twisted leafs and some leafs with holes, correct?

Your spreadsheet shows how much you are dosing but do you have readings of what is actually in your water? N P K
Regarding your Micros, I see you are dosing 3 times a week but how many milliliters per dose are you adding?

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
First of all I would not panic. All in all plants look good and are growing, and that is a good thing.

In the spreadsheet you show NO3 dosing at 8.35 three times per week. Is that 8.35 NO3 dose based on dosing the entire tank volume? Or is it based on dosing the amount of water that was removed and replaced?

This is where it can get confusing. When I created that version of the spreadsheet, I based it on "target" dosing. That is if I remove 70 gallons of waters, I report dosing the new 70 gallons to a "target". I also show it as dosing the entire tank at EI equivalent with 50% water changes, as that is how most report their dosing.

Either way you have plenty of nutrients and I would not expect any deficiencies. If you are basing that dosing on the entire tank, then you might actually be overdosing a bit. Micro dosing looks good.

What is the exact model of the light? If it's the Chihiros Vivid RGB II then that light is capable of quite a bit of PAR (200+ at 20" center). How far is it from the substrate? And keep in mind that lights like these have very strong PAR directly under center, then taper off as you move off center. I mention it as I wonder if you see any correlation between the algae and the location in the tank. If it were me, I would try dialing it back a bit and see how things respond.

I would also check and re check CO2 levels. The higher the light, the more important it is to keep CO2 non limiting.

In general sounds like your maintenance is good. You could increase water change percentage and it will make things easier. And be sure to keep filters clean as well.

And as I said, all in all things look good. Whatever you do you do not want to rock the boat too hard. I'd start making sure CO2 is dialed in then backing off lighting intensity for a few weeks. Remember it takes time to see results.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing how things go from here.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Regarding your Micros, I see
First of all I would not panic. All in all plants look good and are growing, and that is a good thing.

In the spreadsheet you show NO3 dosing at 8.35 three times per week. Is that 8.35 NO3 dose based on dosing the entire tank volume? Or is it based on dosing the amount of water that was removed and replaced?

This is where it can get confusing. When I created that version of the spreadsheet, I based it on "target" dosing. That is if I remove 70 gallons of waters, I report dosing the new 70 gallons to a "target". I also show it as dosing the entire tank at EI equivalent with 50% water changes, as that is how most report their dosing.

Either way you have plenty of nutrients and I would not expect any deficiencies. If you are basing that dosing on the entire tank, then you might actually be overdosing a bit. Micro dosing looks good.

What is the exact model of the light? If it's the Chihiros Vivid RGB II then that light is capable of quite a bit of PAR (200+ at 20" center). How far is it from the substrate? And keep in mind that lights like these have very strong PAR directly under center, then taper off as you move off center. I mention it as I wonder if you see any correlation with between the algae and the location in the tank. If it were me, I would try dialing it back a bit and see how things respond.

I would also check and re check CO2 levels. The higher the light, the more important it is to keep CO2 non limiting.

In general sounds like your maintenance is good. You could increase water change percentage and it will make things easier. And be sure to keep filters clean as well.

And as I said, all in all things look good. Whatever you do you do not want to rock the boat too hard. I'd start making sure CO2 is dialed in then backing off lighting intensity for a few weeks. Remember it takes time to see results.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing how things go from here.
I apologize, I uploaded the wrong spread sheet.

Firstly, the light is the Chihiros WRGB II 120. I believe that's at 130 watts. The light is 19 inches from the substrate. I'm running the light at about 72%.

The plant with the holes arrived that way, and has only been in the tank a few weeks. That's the older growth you are seeing.

Per your help Greggz, I'm front loading my Macros, so I'm dosing 33 gallons to 25ppm NO3, 7ppm PO4 and 27ppm K. I dose Micros 3 times a week. I dry dose to the water directly. I use a small cup, introduce some tank water, swirl and dump. I repeat this until all has been added to the tank. Micros are correct on the sheet I posted.

I tried a 3:1 Ca:Mg, but at the start of the 3rd week, things seemed off so I returned to 2:1 with 18ppm Ca and 9ppm Mg. My goal was to move to 4:1, but was nervous with what I saw at 3:1.

I had some trouble calibrating my Apera pH pen, so I will revisit the CO2 and make sure I'm not under dosing.

I think it might be time to grab the American Marine pH controller.
Hmm, not sure what happened with the reply.

Here's what should have posted.

Firstly, the light is the Chihiros WRGB II 120. I believe that's at 130 watts. The light is 19 inches from the substrate. I'm running the light at about 72%.

The plant with the holes arrived that way, and has only been in the tank a few weeks. That's the older growth you are seeing.

Per your help Greggz, I'm front loading my Macros, so I'm dosing 33 gallons to 25ppm NO3, 7ppm PO4 and 27ppm K. I dose Micros 3 times a week. I dry dose to the water directly. I use a small cup, introduce some tank water, swirl and dump. I repeat this until all has been added to the tank. Micros are correct on the sheet I posted.

I tried a 3:1 Ca:Mg, but at the start of the 3rd week, things seemed off so I returned to 2:1 with 18ppm Ca and 9ppm Mg. My goal was to move to 4:1, but was nervous with what I saw at 3:1.

I had some trouble calibrating my Apera pH pen, so I will revisit the CO2 and make sure I'm not under dosing.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Hmm, not sure what happened with the reply.

Here's what should have posted.

That light can supply plenty of PAR. Would be interesting to get a real PAR reading sometime. I will PM you about that.

So you are target dosing to those levels. Those numbers look good and there is no nutrient deficiency.

I've always found Ca:Mg better at 3:1 or 2:1. Plants love Mg so I would keep that level up.

My guess is a bit lower light and a bit higher CO2 is all you need.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That light can supply plenty of PAR. Would be interesting to get a real PAR reading sometime. I will PM you about that.

So you are target dosing to those levels. Those numbers look good and there is no nutrient deficiency.

I've always found Ca:Mg better at 3:1 or 2:1. Plants love Mg so I would keep that level up.

My guess is a bit lower light and a bit higher CO2 is all you need.
Okay, I refill my CO2 tomorrow and I'm going to make some improvements to increase dwell time. I'm also adding an adjustable spray bar, hopefully this will distribute CO2 a bit better.

Again, and as always, thank you!

Thank you too @vanostav61

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Okay, I refill my CO2 tomorrow and I'm going to make some improvements to increase dwell time. I'm also adding an adjustable spray bar, hopefully this will distribute CO2 a bit better.

Again, and as always, thank you!
Concentrate on pH drop from fully degassed. If you need help with that, let me know.

And I forgot to mention flow. Too much is worse than too little. You really don't want plants waving around. Some really don't like it, but algae does. Many times worst algae is directly in the path of the strongest flow.

Aim the spray bar to the surface to create good oxygen levers. Remember you want both CO2 and O2 levels to be high.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, tons of maintenance yesterday. In a nut shell, increased dwell time in my reactor and installed the pray bar. I was at a 1.5pH drop this morning. The spray bar is doing an excellent job and has reduced plant sway. I dropped light intensity to about 65% from around 75%. Now waiting begins. I will try to update in about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Alright, tons of maintenance yesterday. In a nut shell, increased dwell time in my reactor and installed the pray bar. I was at a 1.5pH drop this morning. The spray bar is doing an excellent job and has reduced plant sway. I dropped light intensity to about 65% from around 75%. Now waiting begins. I will try to update in about 3 weeks.
I think you are on the right track. Looking forward to seeing how things go from here.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Updated the spreadsheet, I think it's correct now.

Also, I goofed my water change. Instead of 33 gallons, I changed 26 gallons. My calculations were for 33 gallons. I tested, using salifert kits 15ppm NO3, 3-5ppm PO4 and 10ppm K. I'd imagine because my water change volume was low. Should I give the tank so extra fertilizers? I changed water Thursday.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts