The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, i am having problems getting my PH to raise, when i first set up the aquaruim i used this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4484&N=2004+113775 becasue i was sure i had very hard water, i filled up my 30 gallon tank about a month ago and have had some zebra danios in there getting it to cycle. Doing weekly water changes and everything, a month into it i changed tha carbon out of my xp2 and and washed the sponge filters in fish water.

i keep testing the water and i cant get the PH to register on the test kit and the lowest setting is 6.0, i have tried recently PH adjust 7.0 powder to see if mabey that would do it, nothing,,, forgot to mention that since i tried doing a 50% water change with declorinated tap water with a ph of 7.4 and still nothing...:(

any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Get a low pH test kit. Make sure it's accurate too...some test kits aren't all that great. The filter shouldn't drastically change the pH of your water.

Why are you trying to raise the pH anyways?

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you are testing your water directly out of the tap, the reading is going to be off. You need to let it sit out for a day then you can see your actual tap water pH level. If you are just concerned over the difference between the tap and the tank this should clear that up. I would not add any buffers anyways. What is your KH?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the Ph is too low is that not going to effect the plants in the tank? especialy if it is below 6.0? And i was useing a API PH low test kit.

So far i dont have a real accurate KH tester other than the little strip tester and it doesnt regester anything. But the GH registers about 120ppm

Thanks for the responses and knowlege, sorry for the newbish questions=-/

I will pull some water from the tap and let it sit overnight and test it tomorrow. good advice thx

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Tablespoon of baking soda would too.

Are you sure that your pH is not high already? Just for giggles have you tried a high range pH test kit? And have you tried more than one pH test kit? They can go bad.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first test kit i tried to go the cheap route. i bought some of those 5 in one dip strips by api, nothing registered on them, figured there garbage so i bought the actual one where you have to put so many drops from each bottle into the measured water and i got good ammonia/nitrate/nitrite readings but the ph was still below the scale, as far as testing the high range i have done that and nothing still.

I think i may take a test in the morning and then take a sample to the LFS and compare results

PS everyones thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.