Votes: 2 100.0%
  • You plant murderer!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just got into this hobby back shortly after I got married. I got a small 10 gallon tank and kept it going pretty good. I wanted to do something different than the fishtank that I had as a child and actually have plants in it.

Fastforward a few months and now I have a 29 gallon tank. Its growin good, then I found the "little horror". Those callimanus worms came out of nowhere. I tried fenbendazole... yeah that did NOTHING. So I got Levamisole. That did a great job... except when I looked closer I noticed one of the baby platties still had some still hanging out of it.. so then I dosed it again. Hard. well that went fine and dandy. I lost a lot of fish, but now I had another problem. I wanted to make sure that it couldn't happen again and since I had a ton of the worms all over my plants i thought it would be a good idea to bleach them... now, I understood from everything else on the web it sounded like 10-15 minutes of a 10% solution would be great.... yeah, no not so much. It turns out that is a bad idea. So now that my plants have been shocked... and many of their leaves have been turning translucent... well. Are they done for? has anyone else made this mistake before? I know that one of my plants that looks like a pine tree is starting to drop its needle bunches.. I don't even know what the plant is, i picked it up because it looked cool.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Any chance of some close up photos?

Hard to say if they will survive without seeing them. Usually if the crown is alive then it will regrow.

Usually parasitic worms do not live outside the host, so it is entirely possible that you had two species of worms. One infecting the fish and the other a harmless detritus eater.

Also, potassium permanganate kills critters and is not as harmful to plants.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Probably need to wait a day or two for the tissue to die off and see what is left intact. It still looks greenish in the photo which makes it difficult to tell. Also, the marimo ball you have there is covering up the crown of the plant.

It is commonly called Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum)

More info here:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=83

1 - 4 of 4 Posts