The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So everyone...I've been lurking on this site since Febraury, a month after I got into aquariums in general. Started with bettas, and six months and seven tanks later, they're still my main focus :p

I moved into the master bedroom of the apartment recently, which allowed me the space to get a proper aquarium rack.
The rack is made by Edsal and is 3 feet long, 16 inches wide, and 6 feet tall.

Here are the tanks :D

20 Long - Dutch-ish farm tank | Housing PFRs, Supreme Red Shrimp

Substrate: Floramax black cap with regular floramax base mixed with gravel.
Light: 2x26w CFLs - 1600 Lumen, 6500K and placed about 13 inches from substrate
DIY CO2 - about 2 bps and reactor changed weekly
Ferts: Osmocote root tabs, Iron Root tabs, EI Ferts with micro and macro 3x a week each (Thanks to nilocg and [email protected] for supplying ferts)
Filtration: 1x10 gallon Sponge filter + Top Fin HOB rated at 120 GPH

Plant list (phew....):
Ludwigia Repens
Ludiwigia Atlantis
Ludwigia Sp. Red
Ludwigia Red Plaustris
Ludwigia Glandulosa (thanks Han!)
Ludwigia Cuba
Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata
Ludwigia Rubin
Rotala Rotundifolia
Rotala Magenta
Rotala Colorata
Ammania Gracilis
Ammania Bonsai (True Rotala indica)
Staurogyne Repens
Pogostemon Helferi "Downoi"
Alternanthera Reineckii "Mini"
Alternanthera Reineckii Roseafolia
Alternanthera Reineckii Variegated (Thanks Han!)
Echinodorus Blehri
Red Melon Sword
Bacopa Monnieri
Moneywort
HM - Pearlweed
Crypt Undulata
Crypt Wendtii Brown
Crypt Nurri Pahang Mutated
Java Moss
Peacock Moss
Subwasstertang
Java Fern
Golden Nesea
Mayaca Fluvatilis
Blyxa Japonica
Hygro Sp. Brown
Hygro Compact
Limnophilia Aromatica
Anubias Coffefolia
Anubias Nana
Windelove Java Fern
Myriophyllum Matogrossense

This tank currently houses about 10 PFRs, 10 Supreme Reds (bought from Neil Sheh - awesome seller - they are Speedie's line) and dozens of juvies. Currently have 6 berried females with one about to give birth very soon :)
The goals of this tanks were:
1. House hundreds of shrimp
2. Provide a small income to fuel the hobby and give back on the investment of how much I spent on plants...
3. Look as colorful and "full" a scape as possible - "eye-catching" is the phrase I'm looking for
4. Be something I can stare for hours XD

20 Gallon High - Betta Sorority
Substrate: 1 bag Fluorite Red with a little Floramax mixed in
Light: 2x24 W Compact Fluorescent Jebo Light, 14 W CFL, Freshwater Satellite (regular)
DIY CO2 - about 2 bps and reactor changed weekly
Ferts: Osmocote root tabs, Iron Root tabs, EI Ferts with micro and macro 3x a week each (Thanks to nilocg and [email protected] for supplying ferts)
Filtration: 1x10 gallon Sponge filter + Tetra Whisper 20 HOB

Plant list:
mostly same as 20 long

This tank houses 17 betta females (8 HMPKS, 5 HMs, 2 CTS, 1 PK, and 1 VT), a school of 6 neons, 2 cories (1 peppered and 1 emerald), 3 ottos, and 2 nerite snails.

This was my first full attempt at a planted tank, and although the fish are doing extremely well, my attention has been directed towards the 20 long. Most of the stems are extras left over after I was done planting the aforementioned tank.
The scape needs some work, but I wont be moving anything until the plants fill out more.

OTHERS
The five remaining tanks are as follows:

-3.5 gallon 3-way divided tank housing betta males

-2.5 gallon with betta male and 2 of my dad's platys that will be given away very soon

-3 gallon Marineland Crescent housing a few shrimp I couldnt catch - Java Fern growout tank

- 10 gallon betta fry growout tank - My first successful spawn yielded about 45 fry. These suckers are 6 week old now. Feel free to ask me anything about the process, setup, etc. :)

- 5.5 gallon that's being used to a future betta spawn

The three smaller tanks need cleaning and rescapes.
I'm thinking of doing a carpet of HM for the 2.5 gallon rescape.
The 3 males' tank will be thoroughly cleaned - I only moved and set up the rack a week ago.
The 3 gallon will have all the Java Fern tied to rocks...once I buy those...:p

Thanks for looking! Feel free to ask any questions! I'll be updating frequently on pretty much all the tanks!

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The boards are more than sturdy enough. The whole rack is rated to support 4000 lbs. but that's a bunch of bologna... Still, you could do a 300 lbs, which my max capacity is for the bottom board and there is no visible bending in any of the boards yet.

A photo from this morning

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phew...
Did a LOT of aquascaping this week.
Took down two of the tanks: the 5.5 gallon and 2.5 gallon extra.

Rescaped the 20 H sorority - this tanks has been through SO many iterations, and I can finally say it looks somewhat balanced and presentable now.

The farm tank (20L) is better than ever. Massive growth on AR Mini, Downoi, and the usual stem plants (rotala, ludwigia, and bacopa). Even the nesaea golden is coming along nicely.

Changed the substrates on the nano tanks. I'm try to carpet the 3 gallon with HM. Got DIY co2 running on that via a wooden diffuser. New growth already :O

The biggest berried mama gave birth (again) and there are shrimp EVERYWHERE...got two more berries with eggs that have eyes - more babies to come this next week as well.

http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/Umar_Nasir/media/IMG_0104_zps92cd5b18.jpg.html

Here's a video of the tanks and an update on the betta babies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0A3zIh3nLc&feature=youtu.be
(processing might take a few minutes more)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts