The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I used the same stuff... don't use hot water you might kill the yeast. My preparation was whisking about 1.5 tsp of the yeast into luke warm water until dissolved and let it sit while I dissolved about 2 cups of sugar with warm water. Then I just poured the two into the bottle, capped it and shook it for a little while, hooked it up and waited for it to start producing. Those amounts don't need to be exact, just use ballpark amounts - the more yeast the more co2, the more sugar the longer it goes. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the tank is a 20 long with dwarf sag and vals with other low light plants basically im trying to solve my algae problem

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
the tank is a 20 long with dwarf sag and vals with other low light plants basically im trying to solve my algae problem
Your algae problems start with the amount of light you use. (If you are using T5HO lights you are almost certain to have too much.) If that is low enough you don't really need CO2, even though it is always good for the plants to have it. And, having lots of healthy growing plants is a big step towards avoiding algae.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
When I was using DIY CO2 I used the hottest water I could get out of the tap. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whats a good small ratio to use since im using a smaller soda bottle

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts
whats a good small ratio to use since im using a smaller soda bottle
Simply scale down the amounts normally used in a 2L bottle.

If you would use 1/2 a teaspoon of yeast in a 2L bottle, and you currently have a 1L bottle, use 1/4 a teaspoon.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats the problem i dont know what to scale down as in how much of each ingredient to use ive seen alot of recipies and didnt know if there was a favorite one

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts
You should scale down every ingredient. Just pick a recipe and use it, there is really not that much difference between them.

For a 2L bottle, I used to use 2 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon yeast, and a pinch of baking soda (if I had any lying around).

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok thanks now i know where to scale it down from

last thing how much water did you use was it 2L or was it less

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh ok thanks i just built my rig and im in the process of messuring and mixing

how long does it usually take to start bubbling

·
Registered
380 Posts
I use very hot water to dillute the sugar, then I fill the remainder of the bottle to a few inches below the top with luke-warm water, and then I add Fleicshman's directly to the solution. Shake it well, and it lasts anywhere from 9 to 15 days.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts