The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i upgraded my lights yesterday. YAY! plants responidn well already and all.. blah blah

I bought a bristlenose pleco female by the looks of it. small one aboue 3/4 of an inch

anyways put her in an acclimation chamber on the outside of my tank since i have c02 and all.. she did great in there and yesterday after two days of being stuck in there decided she wanted in the big tank and somehow managed the squeeze through the gate.. did fine all day apparently

went home to lunch and she dead.. thoughts??? high c02 but oto's and tetras are happy.. the ottos suck for the most of the day until they have their 9 union breaks tetras swim together sometimes... sometimes not. in and out of plants they don't hide

nitrates 10 no nitrite or ammo. EI dosing

·
Registered
352 Posts
Is the acclimation chamber the same water or is it a different tank completely? Maybe if your main tank has co2 and the other didn't, the ph might've been different since co2 lowers it. That might've shocked him.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
same water just lower c02 since it is run by an airstone.. she made it into the big tank through the gate halfway through yesterday and was fine all last night.. this morning when i fed ma fishies. she was alive and kickin

·
Registered
352 Posts
If one is run by an airstone and the other has co2 it might be quite a drop in the ph. I've turned off the co2 in my tanks before and ran an airstone and I woke to find many dead shrimps, measure the ph and it was over 1 pt higher then the previous night

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
If one is run by an airstone and the other has co2 it might be quite a drop in the ph. I've turned off the co2 in my tanks before and ran an airstone and I woke to find many dead shrimps, measure the ph and it was over 1 pt higher then the previous night
Not disputing but confirming what you experienced in your own home.
Using electronic pH monitor/controllers I have installed one on a non injected tank in the past several times viewing the reading prior to the photo period in the morning and again late in the afternoon after completing most of the light cycle for the day. The tank had a natural swing of 7.0 to 7.9pH during that eight hours as the plants produced additional O2.
I did this on two different tanks after reading reports that a siesta mid day allowed CO2 levels to increase in NPT's and interrupted algae development. CO2 induced pH swings don't affect osmotic pressure is also something I've read in several formats.

sorry for your fish loss OP

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahh its ok... i feel like it was a bad run.. i had a farowella in there that the wifey hated so i traded him out.. he was fine. and my fish go through a 1.3 drop in ph daily from c02 :)

i was just curious what thoughts people might have had as to why.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The issue may have been CO2. Your CO2 may not be high but the pelco came from a tank that had no CO2 in it. So no CO2 to mid. to high range to the pleco. may have been to much.

When getting new fish I always shut the CO2 off the morning I plan on getting new fish. When I get home I acclimate them and put them in. By that time usually 5pm the CO2 levels are gone or very very low with the lights running all day. I leave the gas off all night and usually the next day just to let them get used to their new home. Then slowly start turning the gas up a little every day until I'm back to my normal level. It's easy for me to do this b/c I have a pH controller so I may start at a pH of 7 then turn it up a little more to like 6.8 and more the next day to 6.6 and then end up at around 6.3 when all finished and back to normal levels. I have never lost a fish doing this but I maybe just doing usless work, not sure but that's what I do.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he was in a acclimation tank.. it used the same water as my tank in it. it was run by an airstone but it did see ph change do to c02.. that i was i have it to get my guys used to it.. i then dump them in at night when c02 dies off so they used to the big tank before lights and c02 hit the next day

1 - 9 of 9 Posts