Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOw do i get baby plecostomus to eat
i tried algae wafers. crushed flakes. but they stick to the walls of the tank

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'm sure they're eating. Probably right now they're feeding mostly on aufwuchs (all the microorganisms that coat the surfaces in the tank), and they are also likely to be eating the wafers at night when you aren't looking.

Plecos often are primarily nocturnal feeders.

I'd feed them at night when you go to bed and then remove uneaten food each morning.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Are they newly free swimming? If so, they'll prefer biofilm first, followed by very soft zucchini. I find Bristlenose to be very fussy with prepared foods. I've thrown more out than you can imagine. Settled on kensfish veggie sticks with calcium, his algae tablets, his earthworm sticks, his bits and lots of zucchini. Even when they turn their nose up at commercial foods, they will fly across the tank to get the zucchini. Baby plecos need to be fed a few times a day or they will die.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do i grow more algae...lol..i just started this tank for them
they are about 1/2"
how do i make more biofilm

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
The biofilm just has to grow naturally as the water and tank age. It is constantly growing. How many babies do you have and what size tank? Is there gravel on the bottom?

Get some Hikari first bites and sprinkle it in a few times a day and get some fresh zucchini. Rinse the zucchini well, cut a slice or a wedge of it and microwave it for about 20 seconds. I put salad forks thru the skin of mine so if you do that, cut it thick enough to stick the fork in. The I stick the end of the fork in the gravel. Looks like a zucchini popsicle. They can't eat the raw vegetable while they're young. I leave mine in about 36 hours when they are little. As they get older and as long as the zucchini is not hard as a rock, I slice a wedge, score the flesh a bit with my fingernail and give it to them that way, on a fork. Some people tie the zucchini to a rock or something to keep it weighted down. You can take the outer dark green leaves of romaine lettuce and clip it in the tank. The warm water will eventually soften it up so they can eat it good. I take it out just before whatever is left falls apart into mush. Someone just told me a cool way to do spinach and I'm going to try that tomorrrow. He lays the leaves out flat and freezes them. Then puts them in a ziploc back and back into the freezer until he needs them. Then crumbles pieces of it while it's frozen. Waves it into the tank water until they are begging him to let it go. There are variations of "snail jello" that I've used. And a homemade vegetable mix made with mashed peas and some tilapia (or other white fish), vegetable flake, par-boiled spinach, some V-8 for vitamins and some gelatin to hold it together. I'm going to try that recipe next week.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The biofilm just has to grow naturally as the water and tank age. It is constantly growing. How many babies do you have and what size tank? Is there gravel on the bottom?

Get some Hikari first bites and sprinkle it in a few times a day and get some fresh zucchini. Rinse the zucchini well, cut a slice or a wedge of it and microwave it for about 20 seconds. I put salad forks thru the skin of mine so if you do that, cut it thick enough to stick the fork in. The I stick the end of the fork in the gravel. Looks like a zucchini popsicle. They can't eat the raw vegetable while they're young. I leave mine in about 36 hours when they are little. As they get older and as long as the zucchini is not hard as a rock, I slice a wedge, score the flesh a bit with my fingernail and give it to them that way, on a fork. Some people tie the zucchini to a rock or something to keep it weighted down. You can take the outer dark green leaves of romaine lettuce and clip it in the tank. The warm water will eventually soften it up so they can eat it good. I take it out just before whatever is left falls apart into mush. Someone just told me a cool way to do spinach and I'm going to try that tomorrrow. He lays the leaves out flat and freezes them. Then puts them in a ziploc back and back into the freezer until he needs them. Then crumbles pieces of it while it's frozen. Waves it into the tank water until they are begging him to let it go. There are variations of "snail jello" that I've used. And a homemade vegetable mix made with mashed peas and some tilapia (or other white fish), vegetable flake, par-boiled spinach, some V-8 for vitamins and some gelatin to hold it together. I'm going to try that recipe next week.

i have 20 the tank is 5 gallons for now until i get them eating and big enogh to be moved
im diing the romain now i am going to the store tomorrow to get some zucchini
ill try the spinach. is it supposed to be raw or blanched for babies
sounds yummy...lol...let me know how it goes

·
Registered
569 Posts
You can feed baby bristlenose a lot of different foods. I'm feeding Sera Catfish Chips, zuchinni, pumpkin, romain lettuce, spinach, collard greens, some Golden Pearls, sweet potato, etc. I always boil veggies so they sink when I put them in the tanks. Freezing works too but I prefer boiling.

Right now pumpkins are cheap. Even at the grocery store I can get 3 for less than $10 and they're bigger than basketballs. The roadside veggie stands are even less.

Bristlenose are not as nocturnal as some other plecos. Mine don't care what time of day it is or if the lights are on or off. I toss food in their tank in the morning and then feed all the other fish. By the time I'm done feeding the plecos are all over the food.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Baby bristlenose are out and about eating all day long and will be for several months. They don't start dashing to hide when you walk into the room until they are much older. If you don't walk into the room where the tanks are, you'll see my adults out a good part of the day too. They are not very nocturnal.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
some look really fat and others look normal...i just started the tank so i dont know what theyre eating...i did add some driftwood for them to chew on it had a lot of algae and had a bunch of gold anubias with algae so hopefully theyre eating that. i also added a few pieces of romaine

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think theyre learning that theres algae on the plants that i put in and eating the romain cause one of the leaves have veins exposed

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think they got hungry enough to start eating

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Very good! Also you will notice that when you gravel vac and turn the gravel over, they will go crazy cleaning the sides of the gravel that you've just exposed. Full of biofilm for them!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts