The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I've been having an issue with ugly yellow/brownish tank water in my 25 gallon planted.

I've been running carbon in the filter for about 72 hours, have been doing 10-25% water changes every other day, have been shortening my "lights on" time from 12 hours to 10... you name it, ive probably tried it.

Yet my water continues to be dark, and ugly.

Any ideas?

I am using the Walstad method of keeping plants, and have two inches of soil with another inch layer of Flourite. Could this be causing my issue?

·
Registered
135 Posts
sounds like tannins are being released from the soil mix, depending on what the soil was made of could last for a long time. you could pick up some purigen to filter with... that would help.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Good deal another dirt tanker haha! more everyday.

The first month or two is the worst most of the time but your not helping with small water changes. Changing water to get anything to change go large, go all at once.

The solution to pollution is dilution :smile:

For tannins I wait until it looks like tea and drain so the fish are belly bumping on the sub.
By adding a few things to the dirt in the one I setup in March the water is staying much clearer already. The depth of layers you posted sounds right and it'll get better with the bigger water changes.

Last one on 7/17 I did is black sand/slag and black fish, I even put a white background on the tank so I feel your pain on tannins LOL

Doesn't last forever :fish:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
99% water changes eh? that'll put the fear of god into the fish haha

I've seen tannins quite a few times over the years of doing the hobby, i just never saw them this bad. So I was a bit concerned wether or not it was actually tannins.

Ill probably do 40% changes every other day now, with the amount of seachem products im already putting in to up my KH and PH i don't want to do 99.9999% water changes lol

Thanks you guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.