The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I’m new here and need some advice. I keep Blue Dream shrimp. I recently purchased a few new ones and when I got home I discovered that I got 3 berries females. Flash forward 3 months, and I have a lot really beautiful blue babies, but I also have some ugly guys. I’m new to breeding so I was wondering, will the the fry eventually all even out to Blue Dream? Or am I going to end up with just as many of the less desirable kind? My local aquatic shop will buy the prettiest from me, but I don’t know what to do with the rest. Is it possible that I might be able to find someone locally to take them off of my hands? I would be happy to give them to anyone who would give them a good home for free.
Thanks!!!

A picture of some of my Blue Dreams 💙

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The shop may take them, or you could sell them for a discounted price to someone local. There are people who don't mind having 'ugly shrimp' in their tanks.... and some use them for food... for other fish...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shop may take them, or you could sell them for a discounted price to someone local. There are people who don't mind having 'ugly shrimp' in their tanks.... and some use them for food... for other fish...
Good to know! I probably won’t give them to someone who will use them as food, but I love the other options

·
Registered
271 Posts
Also remember that some shrimp don't fully color up until they are older. Males are usually lighter as well.

When you mean ugly, are they a different color, have stripes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also remember that some shrimp don't fully color up until they are older. Males are usually lighter as well.

When you mean ugly, are they a different color, have stripes?
Some are actually really cool looking- clear/grey with blue speckles. Here is a picture of one of the prettier ones

grey body with bluish markings. They all have white eyes and get more grey and brown from there. I would keep them if I knew that they all wouldn’t start having babies that turned out to look more and more like wild shrimp.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Those are the wild type throwbacks. If you want to keep them from diluting the colony you'll need to move them out of the tank. I made my 75 gallon the "cull", or skittles tank :) I get some pretty crazy looking shrimp in there

Reactions: JennyMiner

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are the wild type throwbacks. If you want to keep them from diluting the colony you'll need to move them out of the tank. I made my 75 gallon the "cull", or skittles tank :) I get some pretty crazy looking shrimp in there
Thanks! I’ll try finding someone local to take them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I get undesirable shrimp, I tend to wait until closer to maturity to decide to get rid of them or not. Shrimp usually increase drastically in color as they grow, meaning you could start with a tan baby shrimp with a few green and blue patches, and then later on as it grows a mostly blue and green more colorful shrimp. 😁 good luck!

When I get undesirable shrimp, I tend to wait until closer to maturity to decide to get rid of them or not. Shrimp usually increase drastically in color as they grow, meaning you could start with a tan baby shrimp with a few green and blue patches, and then later on as it grows a mostly blue and green more colorful shrimp. 😁 good luck!
But If they are already at maturity and are still undesirable, Deffinently remove them from the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts