The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the best way when for example you have:

Lots of stem type plants that grow several roots along the stem and uglify your tank. Is it okay to cut them off, or is this a hint from the plant it's time to be replanted....

What are my plants trying to tell me...

-these are moneyworts, hygro poly's, and ludwigia's

·
Registered
562 Posts
pretty much just a matter of preference. I've taken the arial roots as a sign that they really want me to plant them horizontally in the ground, so they can produce lines of plants that way. it usually works...

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I believe that arial roots are a sign that the plant isn't getting the nutrients it needs from the substrate, so it's sending roots out into the water column to try and satisfy that need. I used to get arial roots like crazy in my higher light tank w/ fluorite, but I get very few now that I'm using aquasoil. I think it's more than a coincidence that they're sending out fewer arial roots with a more enriched substrate.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Interestingly enough my hygro polys are sending out aerial roots like i've never seen before and my substrate is pool filter sand and pretty much nutrient poor (not for long my cherry shrimp are crapping up the place), i'll have to put a couple in with my water lillies and see what kind of roots they put out then.

I was wondering the same thing this week, i figure i'll just plant them horizontally anyway to get more stems started to increase numbers a bit more.

jason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.