The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is sitting on the bottom of my 40g. Its made from air tubing, razor slits were cut into it on the bottom. The thing was then wrapped in a densely woven polyester cloth, covered with a small amount of pea gravel then covered in crushed feldspar sand from Santastik. I wanted to use sand for the substrate and also wanted some circulation through the substrate. Seems to be working fine.

I had all this material laying around the house so I didn't have to purchase anything to put this together.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
What will keep the razor slits open? Usually when you cut a slit in a relatively soft tube, the slits will close up and greatly restrict any flow through them. Saw cuts work because they remove material from the slits, but razors don't remove any material. UGF's do work, but not very well for planted tanks. Reversing the flow through them (RFUG) so the debris is trapped under the sand seem to work better, but still not that great. And, you would still need wider slits or holes to get good flow.

Also, larger particles work their way to the surface in substrates, so the pea gravel at the bottom will eventually be on top of the sand.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted to only protect the substrate from forming hydrogen sulfide, wasn't expecting a great deal of flow throw the UGF. I have another filter used for the main workload.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts