The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting my first co2 injected setup tomorrow and bought some UG to try Submerged. I had it going strong in my emersed pond style tank but lately it has been yellowing a bit and getting thin. I planted it in fine contrasoil, with the water level just a tiny bit below the tops of the "leaves".

So, the great debate? Inert sand, or try it in aquasoil again? Note this time I will be using the contrasoil extra fine, so it is smaller in granules than what I currently have UG in. I know aquasoil leeches ammonia, so would fresh aquasoil spell disaster for the UG? In your experience, who has had success in aquasoil, and who has had success with sand?

·
Registered
216 Posts
UG does not need ADA aqua soil. It will grow in inert sand. For me its grown in both corse sand and Aqua soil. You will need high light and CO2. Under insufficient light the runners will start growing into the water column instead of remaining in the soil.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't know what UG is, but I've had great luck with Aquasoil. It's true in the first month it leeches ammonia (perhaps less so with controsoil?). Cycled my tank in no time. To add to existing tank, you could first wash it in a bucket - changing water according to schedule, till zero ammonia.

It's a pain initially, but then a breeze. My tank has been totally stable for a year (I'm far from a pro), as in 0/0/0 - I think a lot of has to do with the soil (lots of BB, etc).

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts