The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After posting multiple times on multiple boards I'm sick of looking so I'm starting this thread and I'm going to experiment. I have a cup of tissue culture UG that came in a "custom curated" set of 6 plants with a Dennerle scapers kit I was gifted.

Reading up on this carnivorous bladderwort I'm concerned about trying to keep this plant in what is supposed to be a shrimp tank as there is mixed messaging whether or not they eat shrimplets so I'm going to try starting it a a carpet using peat moss under fine gravel in a tupperware to see what happens.

Considering this plant has no real roots one of the issues I keep reading about happening is that it will be fine for a few months and then decide it's going to float away. I'm wondering if I use a fine mesh over the peat moss/ gravel base will provide me with the stability of root/ bladder structure in will need to set it a a carpet in the tank, should I decide to use it (if it lives through this). If it takes and I decide against it I will probably try to make someone happy and give it away. I still have to go get some peat moss (I have to get some filter sand too) so I'll post pics once I set everything up much later tonight.

Lol, I'm missing saran wrap so I have to go back out to get that. So here it goes...
Ingredient Cuisine Staple food Drink Soil

Wet peat moss
Plant Drink Ingredient Cuisine Dish
added gravel
Tableware Food Aojiru Drinkware Finger
Hand Food Plant Ingredient Recipe

Removed, rinsed and separated different sized chunks
Food Plant Ingredient Compost Recipe

Set them in the there.

Let's all see what happens. Right now the container is wrapped in bubble wrap lol so I can run and grab saran wrap. I'll be placing the container in one of my bathrooms in the sun. I may decide when I get back to cut some fabric mesh to set under a couple chunks to see if I can train roots/ bladders. There are currently no bladders on the plant.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Plant Ingredient Food Natural material Dish

Decided to put it under my compact florescent in my garbage can tank... Yes that is a GIANT clump of java moss... Some of it looks like it might not make it already, some of it looks as though it's perking up, put mesh under the 2 larger pieces. Here's to experimentation!!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Purple Violet Plant Pink Magenta
Purple Violet Pink Flower Magenta
Purple Organism Violet Pink Magenta

Sorry about the scrappy picture quality, it's the grow light I'm using and my phone's camera combined to make a terrible pic, but I have had some success. There's new bright green growth and one if the pieces that was slightly submerged has grown in length a couple cm. This is day 7, it's kind of slow growing using this method. I'm wondering if I shouldn't partially submerge all of it.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It'll be fine in a tank. I've never had issues of it eating shrimplets. The bladder traps are more set up for substrate inverts like nematodes and the like. But your set up now works too. Keep it moist and you'll be fine.
Thank you so very much for your input!!! This plant is kicking my butt 😅 so glad to hear from someone with experience in it!! I might give it a shot in the tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.