The Planted Tank Forum banner

UDGags-125g-New Pics (7/19/16)

84955 511
Latest 2016 Layout

2015 Layout
It grew out more than this but I didn't save any pictures for some reason. If I come across a later picture I'll update this at some point.

2014 Layout

2013 Layout

Tank-125 gallon, 72"L x 18"W x 24"H
Sump -Aqueon Proflex Sump Model 4 w/Biomedia Kit
Overflow-CPR CS202 w/aqualifter
Return Pump-Mag 1800
Heaters-Two Hydor External Eth 300
CO2 System-GLA Supreme CO2 Regulator, Mag 9.5 w/Fractioning Impeller, GE High Flow Household Water Filter Unit (GXWH40L)
UV System-Turbo Twist 12x
Wavemaker-Vortech MP40
Lighting-Two ATI 36" 8x39W Dimmable SunPower w/Controller
Bulbs-Combination of these listed
Giesemann PowerChrome Aqua Flora T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
Giesemann PowerChrome Midday T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
ATI Blue Plus + T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
ATI Purple Plus T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
GE Starcoat 6,500K T5 High Output HO Aquarium Bulbs (36", (39W))

Controller-Neptune Systems Apex Controller

Substrate-4" of Amazonia (10-9L bags)

Hardscape
Mazanite Wood

2015 Flora
Alternanthera Reineckii 'Variegated'
Ammannia Senegalensis
Crypt Striolata
Eichhornia diversifolia
Eleocharis 'belem' (DGH Belem)
Hottonia Palustris
Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia'
Ludwigia "Red" Hybrid
Persicaria Pratermissa
Rotala Colorata
Rotala Wallichii

2013 Flora

41 - 60 of 512 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Got the wood today...

Filled with water....wood is floating, crap everywhere, etc.

Waiting on the temperature of the water to get up a bit more and than putting plants in.

What are some of the things you are controlling with the Apex? Any dosing pump/s being added?

I know you haven't used the ATI fixture to it's fullest potential, but how do you find the programming and options?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
What are some of the things you are controlling with the Apex? Any dosing pump/s being added?

I know you haven't used the ATI fixture to it's fullest potential, but how do you find the programming and options?
Apex currently has the return pump, Vortech, CO2 pump, CO2 solenoid, heaters (2), UV, aqualifter, temp probe and pH probe.

I'd like to eventually get dosing pump but can't justify the cost right now with a baby on the way.

The ATI units are very nice. I've programmed them and used all the options. I have them setup for a 10hr photoperiod and dimmed to around 50 micromoles. Since they have their own programming system I don't have them on the EnergyBar.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Plants are in but not where they need to be. With the wood floating and cloudy water I was just happy to get them in the soil wherever there was a spot. Hopefully, this weekend everything will be settled down enough for me to rearrange.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
I removed the rocks and the branches and they are soaking in a 55 gallon tub. I have the main wood pieces anchored with rocks right now. I got slate to do it right but haven't had time to get to it. I plan to add the hard scape materials back in the tank in a week or so. Also plan on rearranging the plants.

The plants are doing well overall. A few didn't make it but most have new growth and I'm liking the color on most of them after 5 days.

A few tank specs....125mL/min of CO2 and 8hr photoperiod at 120 micromoles (dead center at substrate).

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Day 7 Update

I got 20 more plants (L. senengal(2), Tonia(10) and red Lud(8)) yesterday. Still haven't had time to work on the hardscape...hopefully this weekend.

Here are some pictures....I need to work on the picture taking..the colors aren't coming through like they do in person.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Those plants are starting to look pretty good right now and you are off to a good start! I wouldn't do anything different parameters wise if you ask me. Is that a Wallichii looking that happy or Hippuris? Either way, they look good!

Also, when taking pics of the tank turn the flash off on the cam so we can appreciate the colors with you :)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I think its more the reflection I'm getting. Even without the flash they don't look "right". I'll read up some in the photography forums here and see what I can change. The camera is a Canon T2i and I have a couple lenses available.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
So I found time Sunday to add rocks and scape a bit. I plan on attaching the anubias to the wood but need to pick up some thread or fishing line. I then need to figure out a plant for the middle...tempted to pick up some "white" anubias for the spot. Any ideas?

I like the look of the tank overall so far. I really need to give it a few weeks to grow and fill in but I think I'm off to a decent start.

I also figured out how to block out the excess light to remove the reflection. I hung up some black felt across the top of the tank/walls. It's actually solvent absorbent material I borrowed from work.

If you got questions/comments/suggestions let me hear them!

Day 12

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Re: UDGags-125g Aquarium (Updated-2/11/13)

Thanks everyone

I'll add fish when the tank is cycled...zero ammonia. It usually takes 1-2 months for this to happen so at least a month before fish/shrimp are added.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
UDGags-125g Aquarium (Updated-2/11/13)

Thanks everyone

I'll add fish when the tank is cycled...zero ammonia. It usually takes 1-2 months for this to happen so at least a month before fish/shrimp are added.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Are you using the 'new' Aquasoil?

from my iP 5 via Tapa.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Day 14

Measured the water tonight....

Temperature-78F/26C
pH-6.2 (from probe, 7hrs into photoperiod)
TDS-250
Hardness-180-200ppm
Alkalinity-50ppm
Ammonia-nitrogen-1ppm....so unionized ammonia was basically zero. I am going to check when CO2 is off and the pH is above 7.

Tap water report has 187 ppm for hardness and 82 ppm for alkalinity.

41 - 60 of 512 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.