The Planted Tank Forum banner

UDGags-125g-New Pics (7/19/16)

86071 Views 511 Replies 90 Participants Last post by  UDGags
Latest 2016 Layout

2015 Layout
It grew out more than this but I didn't save any pictures for some reason. If I come across a later picture I'll update this at some point.

2014 Layout

2013 Layout

Tank-125 gallon, 72"L x 18"W x 24"H
Sump -Aqueon Proflex Sump Model 4 w/Biomedia Kit
Overflow-CPR CS202 w/aqualifter
Return Pump-Mag 1800
Heaters-Two Hydor External Eth 300
CO2 System-GLA Supreme CO2 Regulator, Mag 9.5 w/Fractioning Impeller, GE High Flow Household Water Filter Unit (GXWH40L)
UV System-Turbo Twist 12x
Wavemaker-Vortech MP40
Lighting-Two ATI 36" 8x39W Dimmable SunPower w/Controller
Bulbs-Combination of these listed
Giesemann PowerChrome Aqua Flora T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
Giesemann PowerChrome Midday T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
ATI Blue Plus + T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
ATI Purple Plus T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
GE Starcoat 6,500K T5 High Output HO Aquarium Bulbs (36", (39W))

Controller-Neptune Systems Apex Controller

Substrate-4" of Amazonia (10-9L bags)

Hardscape
Mazanite Wood

2015 Flora
Alternanthera Reineckii 'Variegated'
Ammannia Senegalensis
Crypt Striolata
Eichhornia diversifolia
Eleocharis 'belem' (DGH Belem)
Hottonia Palustris
Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia'
Ludwigia "Red" Hybrid
Persicaria Pratermissa
Rotala Colorata
Rotala Wallichii

2013 Flora

461 - 480 of 512 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
I just read this whole thread because I love the look of your tank. Wow, you really know what your doing and the scapes you have accomplished are remarkable. I've got to be honest, this recent layout of wood seems a bit too linear to me... and the back right piece curving up like a head just strikes me as odd... but seeing the work you have done I think you could plant it just like it is and it will be remarkable. Some of your other hardscapes at this preliminary point just drew my eye in more I suppose... But I have seen some really cool looking tanks that drew attention when the plants and hardscape complemented each other well. I think you are capable of doing just that with the arrangement you have. Amazing skills, I am looking forward to seeing where this scape takes you.

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #469 ·
I always like checking out your tank. Inspiring dutch work. Looks like you are off to a good start for 2015. Can't unsee...
Thanks

I just read this whole thread because I love the look of your tank. Wow, you really know what your doing and the scapes you have accomplished are remarkable. I've got to be honest, this recent layout of wood seems a bit too linear to me... and the back right piece curving up like a head just strikes me as odd... but seeing the work you have done I think you could plant it just like it is and it will be remarkable. Some of your other hardscapes at this preliminary point just drew my eye in more I suppose... But I have seen some really cool looking tanks that drew attention when the plants and hardscape complemented each other well. I think you are capable of doing just that with the arrangement you have. Amazing skills, I am looking forward to seeing where this scape takes you.
Thanks for all the compliments. I've definitely learned a lot through this process.

You sound like my wife. I asked her about the hardscape and she wasn't a huge fan either. She liked when I had one piece of wood on each side the best. I also liked the wood on each side but that was so much like my 2013 tank that I wanted something a bit different. We'll see how it works out. It's easy enough to flip the wood and replant if this doesn't pan out.

· Registered
283 Posts
Yeah, the thing the bugs me the most right now is that two pieces of wood are two different colors. I'm hoping long term I can cover/mask the front one.
i noticed that immediately and liked the contrast. assumed it was by design as your tanks are very thought out.

i think i've mentioned this in the past, but props again for identifying plant names w/ pics. i'm not an expert by any means and it really helps to get to know the plants better. appreciate your effort in doing so.

agree w/ others on your 2013 tank. one of the best!

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
I basically have a stack of wood and that's what I chose. I have two other large pieces, one I used in 2013 and the other is too big for the tank. Ideally, I would have bought some new wood but I don't have the money for it so I'm working with what I got.

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #474 ·
Got my new pH probe in the mail yesterday and got it installed and calibrated. The old one was giving very weird signals and wasn't consistent. It lasted roughly 2yrs in the tank. Now I can dial in the CO2 without harming the fish or causing an algae outbreak.

I got the local swap meet this weekend so hoping to come back with some loaches. Anyone else going to the GCAS swap?

I also plan to upgrade to Apex Fusion this weekend. I'm still running their old web/phone interface.

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 ·
Overall I'm happy with the growth so far. I really like the left side of the tank but not a huge fan of the right yet. I might switch out a couple plants in a month or so.

My battle against the snails is going well. They were really causing issues with their eggs/slime on the plants.

461 - 480 of 512 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.