The Planted Tank Forum banner

UDGags-125g-New Pics (7/19/16)

86047 Views 511 Replies 90 Participants Last post by  UDGags
Latest 2016 Layout

2015 Layout
It grew out more than this but I didn't save any pictures for some reason. If I come across a later picture I'll update this at some point.

2014 Layout

2013 Layout

Tank-125 gallon, 72"L x 18"W x 24"H
Sump -Aqueon Proflex Sump Model 4 w/Biomedia Kit
Overflow-CPR CS202 w/aqualifter
Return Pump-Mag 1800
Heaters-Two Hydor External Eth 300
CO2 System-GLA Supreme CO2 Regulator, Mag 9.5 w/Fractioning Impeller, GE High Flow Household Water Filter Unit (GXWH40L)
UV System-Turbo Twist 12x
Wavemaker-Vortech MP40
Lighting-Two ATI 36" 8x39W Dimmable SunPower w/Controller
Bulbs-Combination of these listed
Giesemann PowerChrome Aqua Flora T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
Giesemann PowerChrome Midday T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
ATI Blue Plus + T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
ATI Purple Plus T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
GE Starcoat 6,500K T5 High Output HO Aquarium Bulbs (36", (39W))

Controller-Neptune Systems Apex Controller

Substrate-4" of Amazonia (10-9L bags)

Hardscape
Mazanite Wood

2015 Flora
Alternanthera Reineckii 'Variegated'
Ammannia Senegalensis
Crypt Striolata
Eichhornia diversifolia
Eleocharis 'belem' (DGH Belem)
Hottonia Palustris
Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia'
Ludwigia "Red" Hybrid
Persicaria Pratermissa
Rotala Colorata
Rotala Wallichii

2013 Flora

201 - 220 of 512 Posts

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
I actually stalk(ed) Tom's tank multiple places...he has threads on Barr report, TPT, AGA, UKAPS, etc. You can find different tidbits of information in each place.

My favorite dutch tank is the enchanted garden by Shay Fertig so I took a lot of inspiration from that as well.

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
First off sorry for the picture quality..I've felt guilty I haven't updated this in awhile so wanted to get something on here.

I did some trimming today but not the entire tank. I'm trying to decide what to do with certain plants. If you got ideas let me hear them. I got a couple in my head maybe for this weekend.

Here is a full tank shot RIGHT AFTER TRIMMING (BEFORE WATER CHANGE).

I let the Nesea Crassicaulis grow out of the tank and its flowered. The Ludwigia Sphaerocarpa has also grown out but no flowers yet.

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
I've been trying to plan out my tank for when i move in to my new place next semester, this is exactly what i would want it to look like...great work man

Thanks! If you got question when you go to set yours up feel free to ask.

So you're telling me this tank has 16 39w bulbs over it, holy hell! Talk about bright! The variety of stem plants and the quality of their growth makes me jealous haha.

Do you combat any algae in this tank?
Yes, sixteen 39W bulbs (70% power so 125 PAR at substrate) for 8hrs per day.

Yes, I have/had algae.

Hair algae appears only on the left side wood exactly where the Vortech hits. I believe this was just a CO2 issue but I've gotten pretty good with correcting the issue (turn up CO2). The varying biomass really makes a difference on CO2 measurements so I've had to be careful. When I do a large trim you can see a direct difference in the pH reading without me touching the CO2 knobs.

I also had a case of BBA because I was feeding in the same spot everyday. It's easy to feed in the middle of the tank since the sides are really grown. So I was having a high amount of organics break down. I fixed this by feeding less and spreading it out. I also adjusted one of the returns to hit the spot.

I do spot Excel treatments every few weeks it seems just to keep things tidy.

The one thing I want to do is get more Biomedia for the sump. When I do a large uprooting I usually have a bacteria bloom for 12-24hrs.

Saying all that I'm knocking on wood because the tank is in good shape algae wise right now!

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Time for a proper update with good pictures.

I trimmed the Rotala Wallichii and the Rotala Rotundifolia pretty good last night but left the Alternanthera Reineckii 'Rosafolia' for now. I'm thinking about moving the Alternanthera to the back behind the wood and getting rid of the Rotundifolia all together. I also got rid of the Senegalensis for now in this tank.

I haven't done anything with the emerged growth since it looks pretty cool in my opinion but I'll need to do something with it in a couple weeks. The one is really branching out above water.

Now onto the pictures!

Full-Tank with black curtain up and then cropped

Full tank shot as is

Breeding Pair

Who you looking at!!

Only shrimp shot I could get...hiding bastards!

· Registered
57 Posts
Absolutly amazing tank, seriously the best planted tank I have ever seen!!

Congrats on an amazing job!!

I thought I had alot of light running 4 39w bulbs but 16 makes me realise why I still struggle to grown red plants! Here in the UK its hard to get hold of lighting fixtures like that.

You must go through co2 like its going out of fashion??

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Absolutly amazing tank, seriously the best planted tank I have ever seen!!

Congrats on an amazing job!!

I thought I had alot of light running 4 39w bulbs but 16 makes me realise why I still struggle to grown red plants! Here in the UK its hard to get hold of lighting fixtures like that.

You must go through co2 like its going out of fashion??
Thanks, if it's the best you've seen you need to look around more :) I think it looks good but not best ever for sure. I definitely have learned a lot from the start and there are a few things I would do different. Overall I'm pleased since it's my first planted tank.

ATI is a German company so I'm surprised they are hard to get in the UK.

I already have plans (go big or go home!) for my next tank...just need to have a windfall of money :)

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Well I spent the last 3 hours doing major trimming, reorg and tank maintenance. I removed the Nesaea Crassicaulis (emerged growth) and the rotala rotundafolia. the Nesaea was nice but I just didn't like the style of it for this tank but would try it again a future tank more suited to that style. The Rotundafolia I just got bored of and it's pretty common so can always pick up a couple stems in the future cheap.

Here is it about a minute ago after the water change finished. I'll try and get a better one tomorrow once everything settles. Just showing everything isn't always pretty :)

Here are my Alternanthera Reineckii 'Rosaefolia' that I took out and moved behind the wood. They are a nice size so figured I'd snap a picture.

This will probably be the last update for a couple weeks. My wife is scheduled to have the baby Thursday. This is why I wanted to get a large trim in now.

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
What is your lighting setting on the ATI? I have one as well but I don't run it so hot which gives me essentially no algae but plants aren't as red.

Lighting-Two ATI 36" 8x39W Dimmable SunPower w/Controller
Bulbs-Combination of these listed
Giesemann PowerChrome Aqua Flora T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
Giesemann PowerChrome Midday T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
ATI Blue Plus + T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
ATI Purple Plus T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
GE Starcoat 6,500K T5 High Output HO Aquarium Bulbs (36", (39W))

So 16 bulbs total

I have it set at 70% power, which gives me 125 PAR at the SUBSTRATE. Lights are about 16" from the water surface.

In terms of red, I also dose more Fe than most people do.

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Here are a couple pictures from tonight with the water not as cloudy from the replant.

This first one is without the black curtain up. I get a lot of glare and light coming off the tank with the 16 bulbs so my good pictures are with the curtain up.

This second one is with a black curtain up

201 - 220 of 512 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.