The Planted Tank Forum banner

UDGags-125g-New Pics (7/19/16)

86047 Views 511 Replies 90 Participants Last post by  UDGags
Latest 2016 Layout

2015 Layout
It grew out more than this but I didn't save any pictures for some reason. If I come across a later picture I'll update this at some point.

2014 Layout

2013 Layout

Tank-125 gallon, 72"L x 18"W x 24"H
Sump -Aqueon Proflex Sump Model 4 w/Biomedia Kit
Overflow-CPR CS202 w/aqualifter
Return Pump-Mag 1800
Heaters-Two Hydor External Eth 300
CO2 System-GLA Supreme CO2 Regulator, Mag 9.5 w/Fractioning Impeller, GE High Flow Household Water Filter Unit (GXWH40L)
UV System-Turbo Twist 12x
Wavemaker-Vortech MP40
Lighting-Two ATI 36" 8x39W Dimmable SunPower w/Controller
Bulbs-Combination of these listed
Giesemann PowerChrome Aqua Flora T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
Giesemann PowerChrome Midday T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
ATI Blue Plus + T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
ATI Purple Plus T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
GE Starcoat 6,500K T5 High Output HO Aquarium Bulbs (36", (39W))

Controller-Neptune Systems Apex Controller

Substrate-4" of Amazonia (10-9L bags)

Hardscape
Mazanite Wood

2015 Flora
Alternanthera Reineckii 'Variegated'
Ammannia Senegalensis
Crypt Striolata
Eichhornia diversifolia
Eleocharis 'belem' (DGH Belem)
Hottonia Palustris
Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia'
Ludwigia "Red" Hybrid
Persicaria Pratermissa
Rotala Colorata
Rotala Wallichii

2013 Flora

181 - 200 of 512 Posts

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Yeah, I know. The algae is only on those plants and the wood. The mom Apisto won't really let the Oto's or Amano's get close. Over on Apistrogramma.com one guy said it was wholly beneficial biofilm or periphyton.

I'm not too worried about it right now.

· Registered
1,853 Posts
Any updates on this build? The tank looks awesome. I have a lighting question for you, because I also have a 125g but I'm using 6x 39W T5HOs and I'm getting descent growth with that, but I'm contemplating going with 8x 39. How has the lighting intensity been for you? Are you still dimming the lights at various intensities throughout the photoperiod?

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Hmm, update....I need more time. I've been busy with real life and I've been playing some Diablo 3 (Dragin#1337 if anyone plays). We had our baby shower last weekend and we had "baby" classes so my free time has been nonexistent lately. I still have the algae on the 'mini' and the tank is in need of a major trim, which will happen this weekend. My Python hose thingy broke so had to get a new one last week/this week. I'll have a bunch of plants posted on the For Sale forum this weekend if anyone wants some hit me up now.

One thing I've learned is how over time trimming correctly and replanting tops really matters. I need to get on a schedule where I do 2-4 plants a week.

My Nesea Crassicaulis is actually growing out of the tank, which is pretty cool. I'll try and get some pictures this weekend/early next week.

They are set at 70%, which gives me 125 PAR at lowest substrate point. Plants would see more than this number. I have an PAR meter but haven't really documented my numbers in a good scientific way. The lights do ramp up at start but that's fairly quick. They turn on at 4est and off at midnight. So they have natural light somewhat at the start and the room lights are usually on at midnight (I'm a night owl). If I didn't have fish I would increase this and increase my CO2.....but I don't want to kill the fish.

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
After shots (water still cloudy from all the uprooting and using my cell phone)

You have done an amazing job with this tank all around. Everything seems to flow together nicely with each plant complimenting the next. That is some crazy growth too. It is definitely an inspiring setup, nice work!
Thanks...I never realized how much upkeep a dutch tank is until I did this....new appreciation for certain people.

jezuz haha thats a lot of growth
Yeah, long overdue for trims. I hope to stay on top of it now that a I got a lot of the other projects around the house complete.

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
This goes for everyone...I will do my best to let people know when I'm selling but I'm getting quite a few inquiries. Send me a PM and I'll try and look at them before posting.

Also my wife is due July 30th so I might forget or have more important things to do then try and contact everyone and see what they want or don't want.

· Registered
375 Posts
This goes for everyone...I will do my best to let people know when I'm selling but I'm getting quite a few inquiries. Send me a PM and I'll try and look at them before posting.

Also my wife is due July 30th so I might forget or have more important things to do then try and contact everyone and see what they want or don't want.
Congrats on the incoming!

On a side note, im easy. Just throw together a package and a paypal email with a total and im set :thumbsup:

· Registered
204 Posts
I usually breeze through here on my phone and scroll for pics only. I have appreciated this tank for a while now, but never read many posts. I went back and read the whole thread today. I honestly thought this was 20L or something. The color and layout are awesome. Great job.

· Registered
1,402 Posts
Wow. I have been following this thread since the start and the pics are awesome. Post #157 chiefly. Really nice how you put the pic up that IDs each species.

Fortunately for you, you got all the plumbing and scaping done before the baby came along :). Beautiful tank.

Wondering how you decided on a PAR value of 125 for the substrate. Was that by trial and error? That number seems pretty high, but obviously it works for you! Then again, my little guy keeps me quite busy, and perhaps I just need more time reading threads about PAR ;)

Keep posting pics. I'm sure there are a lot of people like myself who follow the thread regularly but don't necessarily post comments.

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

125 PAR is actually what Tom Barr uses/used on his dutch style aquarium. That's how I picked that number to start with. A lot of my build is based of Tom's and GerryD's (Barr Report) tanks. I've been pleased with everything so far. Just the algae on the 'mini' is a hassle. It is clearing up though.

I'm hoping to trim a bit more this weekend. The rotund needs whacked and my regular reinckii is overgrown.

I'll try and get some fresh pictures (not cell phone ones) this weekend before the trim and possibly after if it settles in time.

181 - 200 of 512 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.