The Planted Tank Forum banner

UDGags-125g-New Pics (7/19/16)

85972 511
Latest 2016 Layout

2015 Layout
It grew out more than this but I didn't save any pictures for some reason. If I come across a later picture I'll update this at some point.

2014 Layout

2013 Layout

Tank-125 gallon, 72"L x 18"W x 24"H
Sump -Aqueon Proflex Sump Model 4 w/Biomedia Kit
Overflow-CPR CS202 w/aqualifter
Return Pump-Mag 1800
Heaters-Two Hydor External Eth 300
CO2 System-GLA Supreme CO2 Regulator, Mag 9.5 w/Fractioning Impeller, GE High Flow Household Water Filter Unit (GXWH40L)
UV System-Turbo Twist 12x
Wavemaker-Vortech MP40
Lighting-Two ATI 36" 8x39W Dimmable SunPower w/Controller
Bulbs-Combination of these listed
Giesemann PowerChrome Aqua Flora T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
Giesemann PowerChrome Midday T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
ATI Blue Plus + T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
ATI Purple Plus T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
GE Starcoat 6,500K T5 High Output HO Aquarium Bulbs (36", (39W))

Controller-Neptune Systems Apex Controller

Substrate-4" of Amazonia (10-9L bags)

Hardscape
Mazanite Wood

2015 Flora
Alternanthera Reineckii 'Variegated'
Ammannia Senegalensis
Crypt Striolata
Eichhornia diversifolia
Eleocharis 'belem' (DGH Belem)
Hottonia Palustris
Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia'
Ludwigia "Red" Hybrid
Persicaria Pratermissa
Rotala Colorata
Rotala Wallichii

2013 Flora

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
879 Posts
Yes, I have algae (everyone does). I usually get it a lot when my CO2 tank gets low and inconsistent flow. I also get some if I neglect trimming the plants. I spot treat with Excel if things get bad. I have a sump setup so I have really good oxygen levels in the tank so I can push the CO2 higher than people without. I am running around 45-50ppm.

What method(s) are you using to determine you have 45-50ppm CO2 ? pH/KH charting, which I've seen many different charts and here they are unreliable ? Not sure what / which to believe any more...

Thanks & congrats again on the little one !

· Registered
879 Posts
Can you tell me why you chose to dose your extra iron (extra on top of the iron from your micros) from the Iron chelate 11% as well as Ferrous Gluconate sources ?

What extra benefit do you see for each source and why are you dosing at those particular concentrations ? The EDTA version should be fine for you with the pH you're running at when CO2 is flowing, right ?

Readily available versions as you know are as follows
Iron Chelate 10% DTPA
Iron Chleate 11% DPTA (why this one ?)
Iron Chelate 13% EDTA
Ferrous Gluconate (why this one as well ?)

· Registered
879 Posts
I want to thank you again for the trimmings I got from you back in June. The L.Aromatica is amazing and the Atlantis is beautiful too. Both took about 3 weeks to take in my tank for some reason but now grow like weeds! I love them.

For some reason I've tried the L.Repens Red Hybrid I got from you in several different areas (higher current, lower current, higher light, lower light) and cannot seem to get them to thrive like the others. A couple stems have one of two very small side shoots with tiny roots and the main stems seem to grow a little taller but not many leaves stay on them and the bottom of the stem turn black and it acts like it needs to be cut off or it'll die. I have had root ferts under them the entire time as well (started with aqua fertz then switched to osmocote plus a month ago).

I absolutely love the look of the L.repens red in your tank and how the top 3 inches look in my tank. Could you offer any tips on what else I could try to get it to thrive in my tank ? Thank you even if you don't have any suggestions. I have all of my tank parameters (very detailed) on my profile page if that'll help:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yourtanks.php?do=view&id=8353&n=jfynyson

· Registered
879 Posts
I suppose it's also possible the lighting spectrum of your LED's could be the issue. What's your custom layout from buildmyled.com? I think their original freshwater planted version didn't have green so the colors looked a bit weird to the human eye since that's the range we see.[/QUOTE]

The BuildmyLED lights I have are what they now call their "10,000K" (highest PAR levels & same as their previously known as "Planted Tank Spectrum"). The colors of everything including the reds look awesome to me. The reds that are there are very vibrant I have no issues with the colors but for some reason these do not seem to want to root like everything else. The L.Aromatica & Atlantis act like they're on steriods not not sure why the reds are not.

So, I pulled them out of the substrate a week ago, tied a sandwhich tie to the bottom of the stems while grouping about 3 stems, then used a small stainless chain link on the tie to anchor them down. The stems are just above the substrate and in one week I already see more rooting / side shoots than in the past few months combined in the substrate. This seems odd to me.

Any thoughts on that ? Maybe I'm heading in the right direction but not sure...

· Registered
879 Posts
I put in 57 more amano's the other day....trying to get this hair algae and tank under control....when I post the next picture it will look a bit different :/ Learned my lesson on what not to do :)
By "what not to do" you don't mean have a kid and neglect the tank I hope ....ha ha ha. I'm just now getting my algae situation under control before my little girl is due in late Oct early Nov ! I algae issue stemmed from reducing my ferts by 75% I believe one single week.

I always want to learn and usually prefer by others mistakes before I do them myself:wink:...

· Registered
879 Posts
Good deal.

I'm curious as to how you or Dutch Styles in general deal with high plant growth/load vs enough water circulation. How is it ensured the hidden stems are getting adequate CO2 & ferts while having no dead spots to keep healthy growth while keeping algae at bay ?

Thanks & Happy Labor Day (means we just work around the house instead, right)

· Registered
879 Posts
Well can't wait to see the new layout.

I created a thread (link below) for the Dutch inspired. I'd love for you (if you get time) to add your $0.02 on your trimming and pruning techniques as I recall you being somewhat inspired by the style. I like you, enjoy the breaking of some of the Dutch rules, mainly the use of hardscapes while using a lot of the beauty of the style.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=436617&highlight=

· Registered
879 Posts
it's cute, congrats ! Hey just noticed in that pic what looks like the green fuzz algae that I had dealt with back in August. Have you found your Amano's eating it ? I don't have shrimp b/c of my clown loach but I only found full tank Algaefix treatment to be able to take care of it (it laughed at Excel & H2O2 full tank & spot treatments). I also heard Algaefix can be bad for some shrimp though...

· Registered
879 Posts
I scrapped the above scape and went in a different direction. I ordered all the plants I wanted and they should be around Wednesday of next week (shipping Monday). Below are the plants that are coming in.

160 nodes of Marsilea Minuta
5 golf balls of xmas moss
2 Mini Pellia w/o mesh
1 Eriocaulon Compressium 6-8" in diameter
10 Bacopa sp. Japan
5 Syngonanthus sp. 'Belem
10 Starougyne Repens 049
10 Cuphea Anagalloidea
New stuff !!!

Just in time for Christmas...can't wait to see the new look. Let me know if you ever want some of your old walichii, l. red hybrid, atlantis, or aromatica back (that I got from you) !

· Registered
879 Posts
I personally loved your dutchish style from the last set up the best (one of my favorite looking tanks) but I am learning the hard way myself; referencing on your comment of having way too many different kinds of plants. It's good to learn from when having so many but then need to move on and focus on different set ups. Can't wait to see this one come along. Are you worried about algae issues being that you have such a low plant load currently or do you have the lights reduced ?

I've been telling folks these tanks are like works of art that change and are literally alive. My plants grow so fast that the tank looks different every two weeks at least. Some folks invest in expensive works of art that stay the same until the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics takes over...;)

· Registered
879 Posts
I'm really liking the MM carpeting. How often do you have to trim it ? Only when it gets leggy ? Any idea why the yellowing or was that due to the CO2 issues you had ? Either way things are filling in nicely !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.