The Planted Tank Forum banner

UDGags-125g-New Pics (7/19/16)

85972 511
Latest 2016 Layout

2015 Layout
It grew out more than this but I didn't save any pictures for some reason. If I come across a later picture I'll update this at some point.

2014 Layout

2013 Layout

Tank-125 gallon, 72"L x 18"W x 24"H
Sump -Aqueon Proflex Sump Model 4 w/Biomedia Kit
Overflow-CPR CS202 w/aqualifter
Return Pump-Mag 1800
Heaters-Two Hydor External Eth 300
CO2 System-GLA Supreme CO2 Regulator, Mag 9.5 w/Fractioning Impeller, GE High Flow Household Water Filter Unit (GXWH40L)
UV System-Turbo Twist 12x
Wavemaker-Vortech MP40
Lighting-Two ATI 36" 8x39W Dimmable SunPower w/Controller
Bulbs-Combination of these listed
Giesemann PowerChrome Aqua Flora T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
Giesemann PowerChrome Midday T5 Lamps* (36" (39W))
ATI Blue Plus + T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
ATI Purple Plus T5 HO Aquarium Lamps (36", 39W)
GE Starcoat 6,500K T5 High Output HO Aquarium Bulbs (36", (39W))

Controller-Neptune Systems Apex Controller

Substrate-4" of Amazonia (10-9L bags)

Hardscape
Mazanite Wood

2015 Flora
Alternanthera Reineckii 'Variegated'
Ammannia Senegalensis
Crypt Striolata
Eichhornia diversifolia
Eleocharis 'belem' (DGH Belem)
Hottonia Palustris
Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia'
Ludwigia "Red" Hybrid
Persicaria Pratermissa
Rotala Colorata
Rotala Wallichii

2013 Flora

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,394 Posts
First of all I want to say awesome tank! Second I wanted to ask how's that much aquasoil working out/holding together for you? I have a 125g that I am trying to figure out what to do for the substrate, I don't want to spend hundreds on "soil", but if it lasts it may be worth it. Third I am also going to run a sump tank, 55g converted. I recently came across the foam that you are converting over to. I would love to hear you thoughts on the stuff. I know you just started with it though. Or do you have any sources where you found people loved it. As I didn't have much luck when searching for reviews on it for long-term use.

· Registered
1,394 Posts
I ended up taking out the 10ppi (blue) in the sump. It was too high to get the correct flow. So I have 20, 30, 30 in there now with the empty tray above. If the 20ppi gets clogged too quickly I'll switch to 10, 20, 30ppi.

I also found 4 of the baby plecos in the sump I bought a few weeks ago....buggers were impossible to catch. I ended up covering the drain in the shower with the 10ppi foam and dumping them out catching them that way.
If you have the 10ppi, why don't you just do the 10, 20, 30? Or do you have something prefiltering it before?

For the fish in the sump, I thought you had a screen on your overflow to stop them from going through?

Also what kind of flow do you think you have going through the sump?

· Registered
1,394 Posts
I have the 10ppi (blue) in the overflow. You can see it in the picture above.

I do have a screen. My guess is they fit through the edge or when I cleaned it they snuck in. They were $2 a piece so I wasn't too worried. They were about the length of a dime when I bought them so very small. The foam in the overflow should prevent them from getting in there again (I think/I hope).

The Mag18 is 1800 gph so I'd guess something around there.
Ah didn't catch the 10ppi in the overflow. So depending upon the head height and how strong the pump is to handle head height so my guess would be 800-1200gph.

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Yeah, probably somewhere in there. I have a MP40 vortech as a powerhead...my goal was 20x+ waterflow when I set it up.
You would love the pump I have then. it's rated at about 3200 @ 0 head height and about 2000 @ 6 feet. I'll have to get the name for you tomorrow.

· Registered
1,394 Posts
I don't think I would go much higher. I already struggle with not blowing over all the stems.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Haha yeah if that's happening then maybe not a good idea. However the pump I picked up is a Jebao DC-12000 with about 1866gpm @6.5 feet. However it's a variable speed DC pump so I'm sure it will be set slower than max speed.

I bought it from www.fish-street.com for about $160 with shipping.

· Registered
1,394 Posts
So how's that poret foam holding up. I've been wondering about how often you may have to clean the first layer of foam, as that's gonna catch the majority of "crap" from the tank.

Any noticeable changes with your water quality?

· Registered
1,394 Posts
So going to be tearing down this scape....looking for ideas of what to do for 2015.
Ummmm..... You never shared pics of what you were growing for that contest. Can't tear down without sharing first!

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Yeah life is a pain! I've been working on my aquarium stand for just about a year now for my 125g that I got a year ago.

· Registered
1,394 Posts
Can't wait to see!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.